Thread: Dell E197FPf lcd monitor broken

Dell E197FPf lcd monitor broken

I have been using Dell E197FPf lcd monitor from a long time without having a single problem until now. But I think it has reached its age because it gives me black screen when I try to use it. Whenever I start it up I get the black screen and at the same time the power light also goes away. I thought may be it is not getting the proper power supply but even though I change the power socket, I can notice the same problem. Why is this happening to me and how can I fix this problem? Is this problem curable or I have to change my monitor and think of some other model?

Re: Dell E197FPf lcd monitor broken

Basically the monitors on two basic modes. The first is alphanumeric mode and the second is graphics mode. In the alphanumeric mode, you can use only the basic and lowest functionalities. This is generally used in DOS or BIOS. Since the least possible features and functionalities are being used, you most commonly never face any kind of problems. If, however, some how the problem occurs then the problem is directly expected to be associative to monitor itself or the graphics adapter. In the second mode, which is the graphics mode, you get all the functionality that monitor is built with. This is where you can get the problem black screen. This mode comes into picture when your operating system is booted. The problem of black screen occurs if you have configured your display resolution or screen refresh rate higher to a value more than the monitor is designed for. So it is unable to handle such a high resolution or refresh rate and thus it crashed resulting into black screen. If you reduce this resolution or refresh rate by booting into Safe mode, then you can definitely fix this problem in an efficient manner.

I think the problem lies with the timing the video signal was sent by the graphics card. The problem can definitely lie with your graphics card which needs to be upgraded/replaced with a new and better one. Or you can even check out for a compatible driver that you need to install on your computer to resolve this problem. Apart from that there can even be the problem port through which the monitor is connected to the laptop. May be it is faulty due to which you are getting the problem. Make sure it is working properly. If possible try to connect the monitor to some other computer and see if you notice the same problem or not.

Did you went through the Self test to ensure if the Dell E197FPf monitor is working perfectly fine? What was the test result? Since when you started getting this kind of problem? What have you done recently with your monitor or computer: some important operations like downloading something or some new connections to the monitor/ computer etc? Undo the recent changes, if possible, and see if you can use your monitor once again. If not, then try to remove any additional components from the computer, if not required to run your system, and then ensure that you can get the display.

Why don't you test your monitor to find the cause of the problem? For this turn on your computer and monitor. Once you get the black screen, try to find out if you can see any image on the monitor. To check this out you can use a flash light putting on the screen in such an angle that there is some possibility to view things like some icons or any images. There is no issues if the icons or images appears distorted but the main criteria is to find out if you can view some thing. If you still unable to see anything then the problem lies somewhere else; may be the problem lies in your power connection or it may be due to soldering problem. If you know how to solder then move on, otherwise take it to your technician.