Thread: Unable to install ATI HD 5650 graphics card on Acer 5820G

Unable to install ATI HD 5650 graphics card on Acer 5820G

I have recently installed Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire 5820G laptop. Everything went as expected but the problem occurs when it comes to HD 5650 card. I think the problem lies with the drivers but I have already installed them and still there is no fix to it. When I click on Catalyst Control Center, I have a message which says Windows is missing the necessary drivers to recognize the device. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling them once again but nothing solves the problem. Can you help me to solve this problem?

Re: Unable to install ATI HD 5650 graphics card on Acer 5820G

I think the drivers that you have installed is not at all proper and thus you are facing the issue. I would recommend you to first go to Acer website and install the necessary graphics driver for your AMD card and then check if it works. If this isn't then you can visit AMD site and make sure if there is any additional driver that you need to install in order to use your card. If everything went as it should be then you will notice a major difference.

Thanks for your instant reply, but this doesn't fix my problem. As you said I downloaded the AMD driver from Acer but when I try to install it on my computer I couldn't. I tried it from Device Manager but it requires an inf file for driver upgradation and there is no such file in the package which I have downloaded. There is not even an exe file which I can run to install the driver. What else can be done to install the driver?

In such case I would recommend you to first uninstall everything. Yes uninstall the drivers as well as the Catalyst Control Center software. Now go to ATI site and download the CCC software once again, this should be the one which does not have VGA driver. Install it on your computer and then see if that works. Now you can visit Ati site to install the driver supportive to your graphics card. This should work.

I suppose your installation procedure was perfectly ok but according to me the problem lies somewhere else. May be Windows 7 is the one which is creating that problem and not allowing to get things working. Did you contacted Acer support team about the problem? You should have consulted with them. They are the one who can provide you a better and prominent solution to you. Even though you might not be having the laptop under warranty but according to the company policy they are supposed to help you.

It may happen if you are having an onboard card and the driver for that is conflicting with your HD 5650 card driver. I would recommend you to uninstall the onboard graphics driver and then reinstall the AMD graphics driver to ensure that is not the case. You should also reboot your computer and configure your BIOS to AMD graphics only. If it still doesn't help then reboot your computer in SAFE mode and go to Device Manager. Make sure you have only AMD listed over there.