Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon X700 Multiple Driver Installation

l33t Radeon X700 Multiple Driver Installation

Hi,
    I am new to this forum but I have a problem you may be able to help with as it is a common problem which I have encountered many times and, usually it can be fixed easily but this one won't
    I have a computer which I am reinstalling for a friend which would not startup except in safe mode. I checked the device manager and found there were 8 duplicate copies of the graphics card a Radeon X700 installed. I thought reinstalling would solve the problem and I formatted the drive and reinstalled windows. The problem I am having is that this did not correct the problem and is still detecting 8 copies, it worked fine before I installed the driver from Radeons website, obviously in low resolution but now the computer crashes everytime it starts except in safe mode
    Usually to correct this problem I would remove all copies of the driver and then Windows will then detect only one but this has not worked this time so if you could help it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

Re: Radeon X700 Multiple Driver Installation

Hi,

There's a script in this thread http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...3763&SiteID=17 that should Help you.

Disabling and/or deleting the copies didn't work it just caused windows to get to a point and reboot or just redetected the copies again. I am not sure though whether the installed card is the Radeon X700 as it is supposed to be which could explain the problem. I have seen a picture of it and compared it to the one installed and the pictured one does not have a FDD power connector on board whereas this one does so I need to confirm.
    Details I have obtained from the card stickers are as follows

R41EG-ND3
    S/N: H0510155300

Hope this helps

For computer starting only in safe mode and not in any other mode, you can try this.

Get into safe mode, double click My Computer -> right click C:\ -> Properties -> Tools -> Error Checking -> Check Now
    Put a checkmark in both boxes, click 'start' -> OK then reboot. Let it run through chkdsk and let us know what happens.

You may also want to right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup & Recovery -> Settings -> System Failure and take the checkmark out of 'automatically restart' which should give you the BSOD and allow you to read the error message.

Hi
    The disk verification completed with no problems on all tests but the I had just formatted the machine prior to my installation of Windows so that didn't go anywhere
    As for your other suggestion I have wrote down the stop message and it is as follows Stop 0x0000007f (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I have checked and this appears to be a divide by 0 error which would possibly be the drivers doing. Is there any way to identify the card just by examining it, I have checked and there seems to be no indication of a model on it, as I said on my last post it could be the wrong driver, just because it was on the system before reinstalling (8 copies again) doesn't mean it was right to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyAngelWatcher View Post
    Stop 0x0000007f (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I have checked and this appears to be a divide by 0 error
    Yes, its a Divide by Zero Error.

As suggested by Microsoft --
    Divide by zero error
    A divide by zero is caused when a DIV instruction is executed and the divisor is 0. Memory corruption (or other hardware problems) or software failures can cause this.

To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method:
    • If either software or hardware can cause a particular trap, a debug is required to determine which is the cause. If you suspect a hardware problem, try the following hardware troubleshooting steps:

1. Test the RAM in the computer by running the diagnostic software that is provided by the computer manufacturer. Replace any RAM that is reported as bad. Also, make sure that all the RAM in the computer is the same speed.

2. Try removing or swapping out controllers, cards, or other peripherals.

3. Try a different motherboard on the computer.

• If you are over clocking the speed of your processor, set it back to the speed at which it is designed to run.

• Check with the hardware vendor for any updated hardware drivers or BIOS updates, or both.

Hi
    As I have said before the machine installed fine and was working fine until I installed the drivers for the graphics card from Radeons website then everything went to hell so I would have thought that any error would be on the card. What I may do though is try taking out the graphics card and trying the onboard one to see if that resolves the issue

Hi I have tried using the onboard graphics card and it failed to even display any graphics so I have to assume that isn't working but I have managed to disable all copies of the graphics driver except for one and it booted into windows as before but displayed a different stop message relating to the graphics card driver, I contacted AMD who make the chip and we have managed to identify that the card was made by a company called Power Color. I have checked their website to get an updated driver and it appears they never made that card so I cannot have the correct driver, I have asked them for help in identifying it but as yet they have failed to reply
    In answer to your post though Killer I do not have any RAM diagnostics programs and, as the machine appears to be custom built I have no way of identifying the RAM on board and I do not have any spare hardware lying about to swap in order to test it.

It is interesting that you say that as, upgrading isn't always the best and, in this instance it may have caused more problems than it solved so let me know how you go with the driver install, if I can find my disc with SP2 I will try to install as well to see what happens, at least then we can compare results

I have had the same issues since Nov when windows update grabbed a new video driver.. ATI has been 0 Help. system worked fine until this driver update and if you look at their site they have 4 updates since Oct so they know its an issue but their support keeps telling me its my motherboard and to update it. Though its been updated from HP and there are no new updates for this media center for the past 2 years... too bad because i loved AMD but now since they own ATI they are going down hill.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I know this is an old topic, but I've been having this problem for ages now. It doesn't cause a crash, it just resets my graphics to 4 bit and 640x480 which completely voids my computer of playing video games.

I thought it was because of a simple glitch, but after reinstalling Windows and the drivers from the ATI site, no fix. Any ideas?

Right,
    I have now managed to identify the card using the following link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555148

The card is in fact correct but what the debugger tells me is that the power cable is not connected and to reconnect it. I have checked and the FDD power cable is connected fine, I have tried switching it with FDD and still the same result. Problem is, the thing that has always thrown me about it is no picture of the card I have found contains a port for a floppy drive power cable just a blank space. I can get the drivers for it but I need to work out its power problem in order to fix it properly, any ideas?

sad Re: Radeon X700 Multiple Driver Installation

Hi
    This is a problem which might easily be solved I just cannot work out how. I have checked all 8 copies of the driver and found that they are all accessing different memory locations and/or I/O with a few conflicts in the lower part as follows

MR (Memory Resources)
    I/O (I/O Range)

Driver 1 Driver 2
    MR D0000000-DFFFFFFF MR C0000000-CFFFFFFF
    I/O CF00-CFFF I/O CE00-CEFF
    MR F00F0000-F00FFFFF MR F00E0000-F00EFFFF
    IRQ 16 IRQ 16
    I/O 03B0-03BB I/O 03B0-03BB
    I/O 03C0-03DF I/O 03C0-03DF
    MR 000A0000-000BFFFF MR 000A0000-000BFFFF

Driver 3 Driver 4
    MR B0000000-BFFFFFFF A0000000-AFFFFFFF
    I/O CD00-CDFF I/O CB00-CBFF
    MR F00D0000-F00DFFFF MR F00C0000-F00CFFFF
    IRQ 16 IRQ 16

Driver 5 Driver 6
    MR 90000000-9FFFFFFF MR 80000000-8FFFFFFF
    I/O CA00-CAFF I/O C900-C9FF
    MR F00B0000-F00BFFFF MR F00A0000-F00AFFFF
    IRQ 16 IRQ 16

Driver 7 Driver 8
    MR 70000000-7FFFFFFF E0000000-EFFFFFFF
    I/O C800-C8FF I/O CC00-CCFF
    MR F0080000-F008FFFF MR F0090000-F009FFFF
    IRQ 16 IRQ 16

As you can see the first 3 values are different but the last 4 are identical which is what is causing the conflict

How I think it should read for 1 driver is as follows

MR 70000000-EFFFFFFF (or multiple lines covering all locations)
    IO C800-CFFF
    MR F0080000-F00FFFFF
    IRQ 16
    I/O 03B0-03BB
    I/O 03C0-03DF
    MR 000A0000-000BFFFF

I have checked this against my graphics driver and it accesses very similar resources as that although it is a different driver.

Problem is though I can modify 1 device to the above settings and delete the rest which should correct the problem but Windows will not let me edit the values and has the Change Setting option disabled so I need to re-enable it to correct the problem, any ideas?

Bump.

I have this problem as well. 8 Instances of ATI X700 in Device Manager causing endless reboots. Safe mode.<Sigh>

Here are system specs:

foxconn winfast K7S741MG-6L Latest BIOS. (has built in SiS VGA - wouldnt have bought it had I known). There is no BIOS setting to disable onboard video. This thing is a bigger piece of cr@p than I hoped for. 128mb of shared memory is maximum.

ATI X700 Pro AGP This was in my last system working perfectly.

I have installed WinXP SP2 and upgraded to SP3.
    Windows update suggests a ATI video update. I did, I shouldn't have.

Reformatted:
    WinSP2 -> 3
    Installed ATI drivers from AMD. I shouldn't have.

Still working on this, so I keep everyone posted. I'm guessing that SP2 may be the farthest mobo can go.

Going to try SP2 with older ATI drivers.

Um, YAY!
    FujiMan

Ok,

I did a SP2 + SP2 updates only. Machine is flaky. Onboard video only. Lockup.

Started testing memory and hard drive:

Tested memory (memtest - 6 complete iterations) and HD (Spinrite option 2). tested ok.

Spinrite again with option 4. LOCK ?!?. No way...yep, hard lock with a DOS program. Tried several times. Windows not at fault here... Its a hardware issue. I'm guessing motherboard. Power supply seems fine for voltages under load.

May have to RMA this for credit for a more current board and chip.

FujiMan

Although I don't know much about your conflict, I do know how to fix the video card problem. The cause is Microsoft's built-in Radeon driver does not work with this card for some reason.

You will need to boot into safe mode by tapping F8 right before the XP logo is displayed. You will need to install the new Radeon drivers manually. The installer package will not work under safe mode.

Go to Device Manager and open "Display Adapters". Double click on "VGA Display Adapter" or similar and click the tab for "Drivers". Choose "update driver" select "Install from list or specific location". Then, select "Don't search, I will choose what driver to install" when given the option.

You can then browse for the folder where your graphics card drivers have been extracted to by the setup program in normal mode. This should be in the C:\ATI\(version number of the driver)\driver\2kxpinf.

When XP allows you to click on the "open" button, you know you are probably in the right place. Click "Open" and XP will begin installing the driver. You will be confronted with a list of at least two drivers (probably). One will have (microsoft corporation) at the end of the version number and the other should just say Radeon [card no.] (I think). Select any of the drivers that DO NOT SAY MICROSOFT CORPORATION. Then continue to install this driver.

When you boot into Normal mode, your problem should be fixed.

Some issues with this, I lost the original CD and the file that is downloaded off the Internet is not an INF file. So using your method does not work as it only allows INF files to be used.

Plus, even when I am in safe mode, the monitor degrades into 4 bit coloring and 640x480. And on the same issue, it duplicates the drivers 7x, ending up with 8 VGA adapters in Dev Manager, with or without the driver.

I work at Best Buy and talked with the head of Geek Squad where I work at for a while about this. We both think the card might be broken. The reason we think this is the case is due to the fact that this issue is intermittent, although it happens more frequently as I use the computer.

I just wiped my HDD and reinstalled XP .... again. Trying to get this to work, however this did not work. As it's having the same issues as before. Although I can at least boot into XP normally without safe mode.

So far the only solution I have, other than buying a new card (not an option at the moment) is mess with the card inside the computer and reboot. If it works, just don't shut it off at all. That way it stays working.

:edit:

Okay, so it HAS to be something physical with either my card or my MOBO. Due to the fact that I unscrewed the fastening screw to the card itself, and put the computer on it's side and it works. So I don't think this has anything to do with the driver as it wasn't even installed yet and it's working correctly (at least with the basic drivers).
    Last edited by Jewbat; 01-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Okay, so I have no idea now. I used an older PCI card inside of the computer and it works fine. However, inside device manager, the drivers are once again multiplying. One thing though, when I went into the manager, it started getting rid of every device driver for the old adapter (The ATI one).

So Im not sure what the hell to do. I don't know if it's the drivers that are messing up, or the card.

One thing more, the AGP slot I use for my newer card feels lose. The card as some wiggle room. Not sure if this affects it at all.

Your PCI card is working fine and the AGP card slot is loose. This makes me believe strongly that since the PCI card is working properly, there is no problem other than the loose AGP slot. Try with different AGP card in that slot and if that is also not detecting than the problem is sure in the slot only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast