Thread: Which of the graphic cards, either GTX 580 OC or 6870 OC CF are better in overclocking speed and gamimg?

Which of the graphic cards, either GTX 580 OC or 6870 OC CF are better in overclocking speed and gamimg?

Hello friends , I own a desktop computer. I want to upgrade my system, currently I am having Intel celeron processor, which is very slow and only 80 GB of internal hard drive capacity. I am going for AMD Turion processor 3.0 Ghz , @GB RAM , but a new hard drive that can store 500 GB of data and a new system board. I am a game freak , the game mostly I like is FIFA but unfortunately I could not run it in my old processor as hard no graphic card installed and my processor was not that good, so I could not play those modern games but only 2D games which is like a punishment to me. So I want a new graphic card , but it should be good enough so that I can play my desired games without any issue. I have heard about a few such as GTX 580 OC of NVIDIA and Radeon's 6870 and 5970. Few people say they differ in overclocking ? But I do not understand what that means.

Re: Which of the graphic cards, either GTX 580 OC or 6870 OC CF are better in overclocking speed and gamimg?

Overclocking in simple terms means to boost the performance and in the context of computer systems to increase to increase rate of clocking than the original rate. As you know that the performance of certain computer components (mostly processors) is measured in clock speed i.es the number of cycles they complete in a unit of time(usually seconds). Each components have their own clock speed, which can be overclocked to match the current system requirement. The components that can be overclocked include processor, RAM, motherboard and video card. Overclocking mostly is done by making some changes in CPU multiplier and the Front side Bus of the system board to it's full capacity or maximum extent. The overclocking, after reading it's definition seems very simple, but actually it is not, because it includes processes that requires alterations in physical and electrical characteristics of changing. But remember you should only do such practices if you have enough knowledge about doing such things, otherwise you will have to suffer if some things goes funny and incorrect that may cost you a lot.
    Last edited by rohit007; 16-11-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Re: Which of the graphic cards, either GTX 580 OC or 6870 OC CF are better in overclocking speed and gamimg?

I really appreciate your knowledge and the description you gave about overclocking the computer's components. It seems it's your area of expertise to play with hardware but I am much more interested in playing FIFA and in the the last few lines as well in which you have mentioned that I should not meddle with it if I am a newbie. I think you are right, I am not interested in overclocking any of my computer system as there u=is not left anything in my system's abilities so that I can charge them up a bit. I would be more than content if you just suggest me which of the graphic card should I purchase if I want to play the latest version of FIFA ?

Well said Harigopal,It seems you are much more interested in both playing and paying . No issues, I do not mind to share my views in that case. If you want your system's graphics must be superior in quality and the video should be motioned in higher rate f frames then without any hesitation you can purchase Radeon's 6780 HD and if youm looking for 3d motion pictures and do not want any issues whle you play "TWIMTBP" games then you should go for NVIDEA's GTX 580.

But once you have mounted a graphic card then you can definitely learn hoe to overclock all those processors. If you have decided to buy the GTX card, you can overclock it with a tool that comes along with the graphic card itself or by NVIDEA's system tools. This tool has a section called performance section that helps to make changes in the the core , memory of the card and boost the speed of the card as well. You can opt the speed from the available options of 841Mhz to the change the core part, shader the speed upto 1682 Mhz and the memory portion can be overclocked upto 4104 Mhz.

I was not aware about the Nvidea tool and so I could not overclock the GTX card. But I have some idea about the crossfire Radeon graphic card being overclocked. The performance of the Radeon 6780 graphic card can be overclocked using software tool provided by AMD called as overdrive software , this software enables to to increase the speed of the card within the driver. This set of graphic card use 920 Mhz of core and 1120 Mhz of of memory.

If you ask my opinion in graphic cards I will suggest you to buy GTX card because I too can play FIFA 2010 and I have the Nvidea graphic card in my system. You will love to play in different camera angles with brilliant display , because it has a remarkable frame rate. Once you install the graphic card , then do not insert the VGA cable in the integrated port on the mother board but on the blue colored board on the graphic card.