Thread: Is my 8800GTX card out dated

Is my 8800GTX card out dated

I have been using my computer from a longer time and now I want some improvement in my gaming. For this I am ready to upgrade my computer but don't know what exactly I have to change in my specs. Right now I have Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 3 GB DDR2 ram and nothing is overclocked. My system also includes a 750 W power supply, a CPU cooler and a 8800GTX graphics card. I have recently installed Windows 7 64 bit on this computer. Now according to you how can I increase the performance of gaming? Should I buy new motherboard or processor or ram? And I also would like to know if my 8800GTX card has become old now and so should I change it with the new higher one having a larger memory? My budget is not more than $600 since this is a Diwali season and so I can't spend more than that.

Re: Is my 8800GTX card out dated

I don't think there is any necessity to change your graphics card. It should still be a perfect solution for better gaming experience. But yes you can say that it has reached its age. There are, however, some games which does not provide better performance while gaming. If you really want to have better gaming than you can stick with your current specs and just upgrade the video card. You can have a best graphics card in that budget and you can still save the money to enjoy your diwali season . The graphics card which suits your need should be GTX460 1 GB. It will cost you approx. 5000/- and you will still have the rest of the money in your hand. There is no need to change anything else.

It completely depends on which games you have been playing and what games you are expecting or want to play. If you are thinking of to play some high end games, which you haven't tried or tried but was not happy during the gaming, then you should certainly need some changes. First of all since you are running 64 bit operating system, I would suggest you to add some more ram sticks to your computer. Also make sure that your motherboard supports that much of memory otherwise you notice that you are still unable to get the complete ram memory as much you have included.

Apart from gaming do you also do video editing or see movies probably in HD? If so than I would suggest you to go for HD4350. You can even go for some entry level models of ati such as 5350. I have also seen that even a Core i7 can handle everything without breaking anything. I can also assure you that an overclocked i3 can also give you some similar results.