Thread: Computer monitor sleeps when playing games with HD4850

Computer monitor sleeps when playing games with HD4850

I am running Windows 7 on my computer with Core 2 Duo cpu and HD4850 graphics card installed on it. My case contains a 350 W psu. Recently my computer has started giving me the problem. During gaming, sometime it suddenly turn itself off while other time it goes into sleep mode. In either of the case, my computer is still left running. But there is no display on my monitor. I have checked the cables and everything seems to be perfect. Is it because of my power supply? I have six pin power supply unit. Isn't this enough to run my computer and monitor? Should I upgrade my PSU to higher voltage?

Re: Computer monitor sleeps when playing games with HD4850

Basically there is no solution to this because this is not actually a real problem. This may occur if you have no movement on either your keyboard or mouse during your gaming. This is just the matter of the settings that you have set on your power management. This is also known as power saving mode. Windows actually turns off your monitor to save power if he detects no activity from the keyboard or mouse for about 15 mins or whatever time it has been set. This is the reason why monitor goes into sleep mode once the timer goes off. So to solve this problem go to power management and make the necessary changes.

I don't think this is related to PSU. I agree to the fact that the 350W psu may not be enough for your computer to run properly but this cannot be considered as the cause of the problem. This cannot be the reason why your monitor is going into the sleep mode. If you won't had enough power then your computer should have crashed instead of turning off certain devices. The power management can be one of the reason for this kind of behaviour of your monitor.

Although you must have a better power supply to run HD 4850 on your computer, but that should not be considered as the only factor for this kind of problem. However, you may reconfirm if this isn't the problem by installing a higher voltage psu. Their are still some of the other factors that could generate this kind of problem. This could be due to faulty video card which is not able to give appropriate signals to your monitor, or probably your monitor is faulty, or even it could be the problem of misconfiguration on your Windows.

I don't think any of this problem can create this problem. It seems more to be a graphics card problem. May be it is getting overheated and this is why it is shutting down and thus your monitor turns itself off as their is no signal from the video card. There can be several reasons for your video card getting overheated and some of this includes dust present around your graphics card, or fan is either not working or not producing enough power to cool the video card, or it may not be placed properly due to which it turned itself off to avoid any damage.