Thread: Can you please suggest me a good gpu

Can you please suggest me a good gpu

I want to upgrade my computer and now I have decided to install a graphics card in it. Until now, I have been using onboard graphics since there was no requirement for me to have a video card but recently it has come up for me as a necessity. I have recently joined a graphics designing course and so it is mandatory for me to have a graphics card on my computer otherwise I will not notice performance issue on this computer. During the course, I will be working on Nuke, Maya etc which involves graphic effects and related stuff. So according to you which would be the best graphics card for me? Which company provides the best graphics card: ATI or NVIDIA?

Re: Please suggest gpu

I suppose ATI FirePro V4800 would be the best bet. It is a best entry-level 3D graphics card for those who work with medium to large data sets in production environments and who requires the flexibility of using more than two displays. It has 1 GB of built-in internal memory, works on 400 stream processors, and uses ATI Eyefinity technology supporting up to 3 displays.

I prefer to go for NVIDIA graphics card over ATI model. This is according to my personal experience. I have used a lot of graphics card and ATI never suited my needs. Based on your requirements, I would suggest to go for NVIDIA Quadro FX 580. It provides extreme power efficiency from a solution with 30-bit color fidelity. Quadro FX 580 gives optimal performance for maximum productivity. It even has a power saving technology best takes care of you do not have to sacrifice on performance.

I would like to say you about some important points on the graphics card that has been discussed so far. The ATI FirePro V4800 is Redwood-based and has 400 AMD shaders; whereas NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 is G96 based and includes 32 Nvidia shaders. If you are thinking of between the two which is the best, then I would suggest you to go for ATI model provided it fits on your budget. I have used graphics card from both of the brands and in my honest opinion NVIDIA do not have much computing power. The graphics card that NVIDIA provides is not at all Fermi based which even takes back a little. AMD has proven that it has the best graphics cards than NVIDIA over the past few years.

Assuming you have an appropriate PSU, you can go for HD4670 which would cost you around 4300/-. However, if you have a good budget and would like to go for a better model than I would recommend HD5570. It should cost you not more than 4850/-. Whatever model you go for, you will have 1 GB of memory on those video card models. Basically, HD5570 has similar performance to HD4670. However, the only difference that you will notice is DX11 and low power consumption which is only present in HD5570 but not in HD4670.

It completely depends on your budget. What is your budget? If you can spend more than 5k on your graphics card than I would suggest to go for 9600 GT. You can even use a 400W PSU for it. But if you want to go for ATI models than go for ATI 4670. This is also an excellent card. Whichever model you go for keep one point in mind that, you need a powerful graphic card to make sure you get maximum performance.