Thread: Disable/enable sound card with command line?

Disable/enable sound card with command line?

I have no idea about this but I just want to know if this is possible. I required to be acquainted with how I would be capable of disabling or enabling a sound card. I just want to know if at all it is possible. I would be happy if someone can come up with the solution that uses the Command Prompt. I will be glad if that can be achieved using the Command Prompt. In addition to that I want to have the same effect that would be fetched if I disable it by visiting the Device Manager. Please tell me if that is possible, as I have heard that it can be done so I have posted this query here. Thanks in advance.

Re: Disable/enable sound card with command line?

I do not understand why there is a need to do so, and if at all you want to do that then why through the Command Line itself. If you at all want to disable the sound or enable it then you can do it just by clicking it on the speaker that you can see in the notification area. Well I have never heard about this but I will try to see for this thing on the Google and will try to post the solution if I could find any. Is there some issue with the sound card?

Well it is obvious that no one would like to disable the sound card for sure but I want to do that. I want to have this done because whenever I work on my system I have seen that it has caused me the freezing issues of the system, and I have decided to disable it, if at all possible. it will be nice if I can have that so that whenever I would like I can enable or disable it by typing lines in the Command Prompt. It will be even better if someone can give me the way by which I can put this in a batch file and then can run it as per my wish. I think I have made the problem of mine cleared and hope that this time you all there will come up with the solution. Also I want to know if it is possible to obtain older sound version of sound drivers.

If there are freezing issues then I think that it could be possibly because of the driver’s issues. I think that if you can have the drivers updated of the system. The issue will be automatically being resolved with this. Just go to the official website of the LAPTOP or the SYSTEM and then search for the Sound Drivers of the system. I am sure that they will provide you the appropriate drivers and see if they can give it as soon as possible. Uninstall the previous drivers and then try the installation of the new drivers. Sometimes the previous driver’s components do not make the device work properly and can cause much more trouble in advance. Hope that you will be able to get the things well with the new updates.

I think that if you can have the Clean Installation of the things then I am sure that the system will for sure run with better performance. Also I think if the clean installation can run successfully on your system then there will be no need of disabling the Sound Card. See for that and do post if the things are solved for you. If at all this also does not go in your way then I think that the clean installation of the Windows can also help you in this matter. First install the Windows Operating System then start installing each of the drivers for each of the components except for the Sound. Install the sound drivers at the end and after that install the updates of the drivers and this time first install the sound drivers.

I just want to have the sound card disabled. I do not want any particular procedure and I do not need any special way. I just want to disable the Sound Card and I will be really happy if I can get the thing to do this. Well I do have some issue with the same and I have decided to get the external sound drive but the thing is that I have been advised to disable the onboard. Now the problem is that I have searched all the way but really could not fine it. Please help me.

I have a solution and I can say that the thing is general. It is applicable to all the devices. Also in addition you can do this by using the Command Line. Just follow the steps below and I am sure that the way will be opened for you:
    • Here is a trick that allows you to enable / disable a device from the command line in XP
    • First of all download devcon from Microsoft.
    • Then unzip the file
    • Then copy \ i386 \ devcon.exe in c: \ windows.
    • Once this is done successfully then you will be required to find the device that you want to disable. If however you cannot find the device then you can type devcon find *> list.txt so that you can get the list in a file.
    • After that type the devcon disable *”and the name of the device”.

Hope that you will have the solution.

Well you just need the solution and I think the best solution is to play with the BIOS. Now first of all bootup the system. When the system is booting at that time and if you can see the 'Press Del to Enter BIOS' message on the underneath of your screen; then at that time press the Delete key. When you will do this thing then you will have to enter into the ADVANCED tab in the BIOS. After that you will have to go in to INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS menu. There you will be able to see the 'Onboard Audio'. What ever may be the option there you will have to just make the option Disabled. After successfully doing all this to save the things press the F10 key. All the settings will be saved and then you will have the Sound Card option disabled.

Well following the advice from other forums I was able to get the sound card that was on the board disabled. Now I just want to know the way by which I can enable the sound back on the system. They had suggested me something very vital but I am not able to recollect it back. Well I had asked the same thing there but yet they have never able to give me the response back. Can you all please tell me the solution?

You can just follow the steps that were suggested by Chandranath.
    • First of all bootup the system.
    • When the system is booting at that instance you will be able to see the 'Press Del to Enter BIOS' message.
    • When you will be able to see that then press the Delete key.
    • After that you will have to enter into the ADVANCED tab in the BIOS.
    • After that you will have to go in to INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS menu.
    • There you will be able to observe the 'Onboard Audio'.
    • If you had disabled that then you will find Disable written there, just edit it and make it Enabled
    • After successfully doing all this to save the things press the F10 key.
    • All the settings will be saved and then you will have the Sound Card option enabled.

I think that all the suggestions that have been mentioned above are up to the point. I think that there is no way by which you can disable the onboard sound card and you will have to simply go with some other way. I do not think what Birdie has suggested will be able to disable the onboard sound card. It can be used to disable the peripheral devices but I am sure that they will not help with the on board components. For enabling and disabling the sound card you can just follow the link here. Hope that you will find then descriptive and at the same time useful.