Thread: GPU temperature too high?

GPU temperature too high?

I've been a few weeks, a Geforce 8600GT from Asus with passive cooling (EN8600GT Silent) and I noticed that the graphics card under load is obviously very hot (eg if I play Anno 1701 in the highest detail level for a longer time). The Asus Smart Doctor reports for example, directly after I reboot to finish the game, a temperature of 96 degrees (which then drops after all quite quickly, if I can start then on my Ubuntu installation, the NVidia settings tool is after the start for about 90 degrees with a constantly decreasing trend from). Now I ask myself now, is still within the normal? Instabilities or the like I could not actually been observed and mentioned the NVidia tool indicates that the card until 115 degrees (!) Would be danger. A case fan I was already in there and should also actually relatively straight blow to the graphics card ...

Re: GPU temperature too high?

96° is too hot for the card. My advice: Go buy another 80mm fan and make it with cable ties on top of the passive cooling. Can also use your existing. 96° is generally not good, so soon to take something. 96 degrees can the passive 8600 already, I would still blow on with a 5-7 80-volt fan that brings 10-15 degrees below zero, is quiet and you have / need in the summer not to worry. 88GT makes even 96 degrees, with fan. At 88 GTS 512 Nvidia has used the threshold down to 85. The passive metal get such a great smell when they are hot. Generally, one can think to say that TO is high only when the card is clocked down. And most do until about> 110 degrees as far as I know.

Thanks in advance to all, precisely because of the summer I'm already so I made my thoughts. I look straight up, the fan, I'm still in there is even a 92-er, just me so far is unfortunately no possibility occurred to me how the can be mounted so that it draws air directly from outside. At best I'm going to test the extent to which changed when I leave the case open. The card is otherwise incidentally, that at lower stress, greater power and not so hot, between 65 and 70 degrees in most cases. I'll Maybe just write times Asus, let's see whether and how to answer to me. My friend told me that your 70 degrees in 2D are normal, case brings a little open, but destroys the air duct for CPU and hard drives. If you have it open, even the fans think to sample only times in the controlled direction and then multiply by the temperature, the main thing the draft goes on all fins.

So, this morning I've now tested once the open operation, a positive effect had indeed not necessarily, this time there were even 102 degrees, but fortunately still no signs of instability. Did you this chance to air channel cylindrical plastic part that is built into newer computer cases and almost juts over the CPU fan to appear to direct the hot air directly outside? Something unfortunately my body is not, nor is the end of 2001, there was probably not yet so fashionable. Anyway here even a picture of the innards of my PC (even if it comes across in the picture is not so good, the cable I have arranged that they should interfere as little as possible the flow of air to the graphics card).

As the air duct can be understood as follows. A case-front fan draws in cold air that glides over hard drives back to the CPU and the power supply and rear case fan is sucked in and is pushed out of the case. If you now on the side part, the cold air flows from the front somewhere out side, the power supply and the back fan press room air from the enclosure and the components drift as though to himself, because the open side destroyed the air flow. If your case is, then it's like a wind tunnel, in front of a fan sucks, rear power supply and fan out the press. Everything in between, is in the air stream. FormatC has since made great pictures this time. Now there is the possibility of operating the side of a fan, here are the opinions differ as to whether the blows or sucks. The question is whether you have back and forward at all a fan in the case. If there is room for more, make more that pure if all the seats are already taken, you need stronger, with more air flow. Side open, bring something if you put one next to it Ventilator or run the motherboard without housing, such as an open test platform.

The graphics cards in rather extreme temperatures loose. To 110°C is the loose. The problem is rather that the heat, if not removed quickly, other components warm up. For much of the CPU's 70°C is too much. How much an average main board, I do not know. The danger, therefore, that die adjacent components, because the graphics card with 110°C, the body warms up too much. So when passively cooled cards and the Geforce 8800GT is absolutely needs a well-ventilated housing. Direct extra graphics card heat removal by additional side fan + fan a lid. Front and rear by 120 mm Fan space. At some point, suggests the relationship, resulting in a passive graphics card if I clap my pure 4 case fans. Vs video card cooler fan since then makes little difference. Not directly, that would only temperatures around 100 degrees in the normal range.