Thread: PCIe 2.0 card compatible with PCIe 1.1 / 1.0 port?

PCIe 2.0 card compatible with PCIe 1.1 / 1.0 port?

Hello, I await the availability of motherboards running the PCI-Express 2.0. And I find this on the net. Eg Intel plans to release its chipset Bearlake-X, which supports PCI-Express 2.0. But I ask myself this question: Is the graphics card is based on PCI-Express 1.0 will be able to be compatible with the PCI-Express 2.0 on the motherboard? Or it will wait until the connector is compatible graphics card PCI-Express 2.0 (as in the evolution of a agp pci-express). I am not getting an exact answers. So thought that you guys can be helpful for you. So please tell me is PCIe 2.0 card compatible with PCIe 1.1 / 1.0 port? Hoping that somebody hanging out there will help me soon. Since, I am not having much knowledge about this topic ant other information related to the topic would be grateful. Also explain me about the PCI-Express.

Re: PCIe 2.0 card compatible with PCIe 1.1 / 1.0 port?

Hello all of you, well I see a lot of people find the galley has good graphics card or motherboard! Personal motherboard not need to buy one at a price not possible! apart if you want a card that supports SLI and all that stuff ... I also saw that some one says to others that a motherboard with a PCI Express can not run a PCI Express graphics card 2 is false. I asked several people and is compatible so I'm going in myself and I ask the seller is consistent and well no problem but it is a moin can perform on the PCI Express 1 but nothing me his serious turns very very well so I took a GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB to 123 euros and I'm running the Crysis while High. Well, I think not because the rest of my PC has picked it up I have a intel core 2 duo at 1.8 GHz while it takes more ram and 2.5GHZ 2GB is enough if I made you BEHIND any application but it must be a frequency at least 800MHz is good but 1066 is better but for those who really want me perfectly Me I'm at 533MHz and it works nickel.

That's Wrong! we must first identify the components useful and necessary to determine the technical characteristics of the CM, which plays on the price at first, then choose from a wide correspondence and technical brand that plays on the tariff in a second time. Although there are CM (the body of the PC) at attractive prices, this essential component shall in no case be chosen without a minimum of reflection.

"I also saw that some one says to others that a motherboard with a PCI Express can not run a PCI Express graphics card 2 is false"
    Yes it's true but not in all cases. Some graphic card controllers and some of the CM will not allow the neo-compatibility. No, it is far less powerful a CG CM PCIE PCIE 2 on a 1 because the CM offers a bandwidth where the PCIe 2 supply doubled. The graphics card is therefore subject to a restriction that does not allow it to perform optimally.

Technically: The PCI slots of 1 or 2 generations are identical. The second version offers twice the bandwidth, that's all (... well, it's a lot actually).

Compatibility point of view: Some motherboards require a BIOS update, others do not! it also depends on the embedded controllers and GC ...

However, it should obviously check if power supply sufficient electrical power to run the new graphics card, which incidentally may have a specific section dedicated power supply (or 8-pin PCIe 6 for the latest), and therefore requires a compatible power supply or adapter. PS: ASUS P5K motherboards and Maximus II that I tested for the opportunity to support two generations of PCI Express with CG no-name brands and ATi (Sapphire, Gainward, XFX).

In addition, to ensure the best performance possible, we must make a clean installation of graphics drivers. Ie a complete and total uninstall of old drivers (to replace the card then) often performed using an uninstall tool driver (download from the net) that permanently delete ALL files concerned, sometimes hidden. Then you should clean the registry of Operating System, and after a reboot and set up (correct!) new equipment, run the install new drivers. For a pilot to another some files may conflict (eg replacing an Nvidia for ATI or vice versa). Also, it is important to ask whether, for a hardware upgrade, it would be unwise to invest a little more and replace the motherboard along with the graphics card, PCIE x16 for a transition to PCIe 2.0 x16 complete, to make the most of the potential hardware. -> So no more worries of compatibility PCi. For this, consider consulting the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) on the sites of manufacturers of CM, to check the compatibility RAM and CPU. It is unfortunate that manufacturers of CM and CG are not communicating or not the compatibility of PCI Express version. So without knowing, trust brands, and make sure a sensible upgrade to suit your needs ...

Then PCIe 2.0 must be rearward compatible with PCIe 1.1 and 1.0? Yes. The PCIe Base 2.0 requirement supports both 2.5GT / s and 5GT / s signaling technologies. A device premeditated to the PCIe Base 2.0 specification may support 2.5GT / s, 5GT / s or both. However, a device designed to function exclusively at 5GT / s must therefore support 2.5GT / s signaling. The PCIe Base specification covers chip-to-chip topologies on the system board. For I / O extensibility across PCIe connectors, the Card Electromechanical (CEM) and ExpressModule stipulation will therefore need to be updated, but this work will not impact mechanical compatibility of the slots, cards or modules. Currently, the PCI-SIG is defining the PCIe CEM 2.0 specification which has been unconfined to members for review at v0.5. There are presently no plans to adapt the PCIe Mini CEM specification for the faster bit rate as the market need has not yet materialized.