Thread: How To Disable Onboard Graphics For GeForce 8500GT

How To Disable Onboard Graphics For GeForce 8500GT

Hi all, I am using a Acer desktop which is running with Ubuntu 10.04. I try to install a PNY GeForce 8500GT HDMI Graphics card and found that neither HDMI nor standard monitor works. I removed the card from the slot and inserted the monitor back into the mobo and works fine. I heard that there is a motherboard jumper which I can use to disable on onboard graphics. I don’t know where exactly that is. Please help.

Re: How To Disable Onboard Graphics For GeForce 8500GT

I think that tou should boot into the machine's BIOS and with that you should either disable the on-board video or give preference to the external video adapter. In alternate to this you can also boot with your monitor fond of to the on-board adapter. Install the nVidia drivers and to use the nVidia card for output as an alternative of the on-board video, you have to build up your X11 system.

I don’t think there is any selections in the Bios- Advanced> Southbridge Configuration> Primary Graphics Adapter for setting the PCIE>.PCI>IGP and also not for disabling the IGP. You should boot with your card and while booting load the drivers. Try this once, this may solve the problem. I am not saying that this is the only possible solution for this and will work definitely but it can get this resolved. Good Luck!!!

Which driver have you installed? Have you installed the one which is in the Synaptic package manager or have you downloaded the proprietary drivers directly from nVidia. I think the second one will be the best option for you. Download it from internet and install it in your computer. I did the same when I was facing the same issue with mine and get it solved. I hope that it will work in your case also.

You will find that the graphic driver for your driver is freely available from Ubuntu repos. You will also find the graphic driver that do not need ndiswrapper to be installed. I am using the Asus motherboard which also do not provide the bios settings for disabling the on-board graphics card. When I installed that driver it did the reconfiguration automatically. Just download and install such driver.

You might have the hardware problem. Have you tried to use the external graphics card in a different computer? That is the thing that you can try because it may be the problem with the external card, or with the motherboard's recognition of the external card. The external card is preventing it from working. You can also try some other external card in the same slot and see the result.