Thread: Low GPU usage GTX 460 + Windows 7

Low GPU usage GTX 460 + Windows 7

On my system I was having Windows XP, and then I thought of switching to Windows 7. Windows 7 is lot cooler than the Windows XP in all respect. Now the problem is that I have observed a remarkable change in the quality of the game that I used to play. I am using GTX 460. The video quality that I used to get with XP was much much better then what I am getting right now with Windows 7. Can anyone here explain me the reason behind this?

Re: Low GPU usage GTX 460 + Windows 7

Well it would have been a lot better if you would have given a full description regarding the specifications of the system. Yes and thank for appreciating the new operating system, it is really nice when compared to Windows Vista. However Windows 7 and Windows XP are somewhat nearer to each other in case of performance. I and my colleagues will really be able to help you only after you will come up with the specifications.

I thought that there will be no need for the specifications to solve the problem. Well I do not have any problem in giving that. So the specification goes here:
    Hard Disk: 320GB.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3.
    GPU: GeForce GTX 460 1GB.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 3.2GHz.
    RAM: 1 x 2GB DDR2 SDRAM.
    See if this can help you in helping me. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the specifications. The specifications are really required so that the solutions can be given properly and quickly. Well in your case I think that neither of the Windows 7 nor the GTX 460 are the culprits. You have mentioned that the RAM in your case is 2GB, actually Windows XP uses less RAM and in case of Windows 7 it uses more. So I think for playing game you require some more RAM.

You cannot compare the video quality of the game that you are playing on Windows XP and Windows 7, with the system having the same configuration. The obvious reason is the RAM usage. In case of Windows 7 it takes up more RAM and Windows XP takes a lot less in comparison. Also if the game is Direct X 10, then in Windows XP it will be running in Direct X9 mode while it will be running in the Direct X 10 mode in windows 7.For all these reason I do not think that it will be fair enough to compare them .

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 gives a better way to see the balance between the price and the performance. It has Direct X 11 which is very remarkable improvement and a great feature for playing high quality games. GeForce GTX 460 gives highly detailed visuals into the games that you are playing without giving up higher frame rates. With this card I guarantee you that you will enter a new dimension so that you can enjoy the 3D Vision technology.

If at all you want to have the same video quality that you were receiving at the time when you were using Windows XP then I will strictly suggest you to first of all get all the drivers updated and see if that can help. If anyhow for some reason this does not favor, then you can go for increasing the RAM of your system. I am using Windows 7 and the same graphic card on my system but with 4GB RAM. It is running well and it has not yet appeared with any problem. Also you can go for overclocking if you wish and see if that can make the changes.