Thread: GTX 460 SLI problems

GTX 460 SLI problems

I have little less than a week playing with a SLI GTX 460. Unfortunately I could not find the 2 same, so I have a EVGA with external exhaust and one Gigabyte (the dual fan), both of 1 gb. Here are some problems, but nothing as serious so far. When I bought my motherboard in saving some money and had in mind multi-GPU configurations. This actually affects the fact that both PCIE lie close together and therefore the top card "boils" a little. I tried several configurations and came to the conclusion that it was best the EVGA above, which has a certain logic because it has rear air vent. Still under extreme load can be wound to have 15 or 18° more than the lower, although up to 85-90° C. At the moment I can not afford to worry because moving a little fan and bios update I could control the temperature, as well as in actual use very rarely reach such temperatures. Maybe in the summer have to think about something else. Does everyone over there are facing same issues.? Please post some comments, so that I can get more idea about this graphic card.

Re: GTX 460 SLI problems

Yeah... I totally agree with you. There are lot of heating issues with this specific card. I am facing much issues specially while playing the games. There are also compatibility issues with this card. Not many games I have installed right now to test, but so far I have not had any problems in games that do not occupy the SLI or any other problems. Very satisfied with the quality of nvidia drivers, considering that the new multi-GPU is gaining strength in performance and software compatibility.

Probably the most important point. As was shown by many review, SLI VGA are impressively scalable. I would like to monitor with higher resolution could be held a little longer, because the truth does not wrinkle absolutely nothing. Leave some sample bench. The truth is nothing to say at this point, cleaning, ATI drivers and installing the latest WHQL nvidia, no problem, then control panel, enable SLI, all working very easy.

If you want to increase the performance, then why don't you try overclocking.?! I lack experience in this area yet. At the moment did one climb up to 800 Mhz and 2000 Mhz core memories (default GTX 460 Series 675/1800). 100% stable, without large increases in temperature and obviously without moving the voltage. Probably give a good bit more than overclock, but for now I'm not interested.

My ex-VGA, a 5850. I must say that a single GTX460 makes absolutely no weight to the 5850 (personal opinion based on what I managed to shop around before selling it). If I had to choose a mainstream VGA configurations of a single GPU, I would go with their eyes closed by 5850. I think something shortly should come down and justify my taste the difference in price with a GTX 460. Also ATI drivers for a single GPU seemed very solid.

I was doing some extra testing with Mafia 2, maybe it is something common to all games and I through ignorance or lack of experience with nVidia did not know, but I get the impression that when you turn on PhysX in the game, it automatically disables SLI and leave the second VGA dedicated to PhysX, so that the effects are spectacular but the overall performance resembles that of a single GTX 460. If, however, the panel sets the CPU PhysX and then moved by the active ingame, forced the game to run SLI, but the CPU it cannot be the physical effects and the FPS drop too low (this combination gives worst performance of all).

I was doing some extra testing with Mafia 2, maybe it is something common to all games and I through ignorance or lack of experience with nVidia did not know, but I get the impression that when you turn on PhysX in the game, it automatically disables SLI and leave the second VGA dedicated to PhysX, so that the effects are spectacular but the overall performance resembles that of a single GTX 460.
    It is generally known that the Mafia 2 is very demanding full effects of VGA, but personally I think that takes a lot of optimization because the graphics do not look so impressive as to warrant the performance, except for the PhysX clear.

Consumption is acceptable, I checked some reviews before buying, and most could not reach 500W total system under extreme load (Furmark) in real burden must walk between 370 and 450 approx. Regarding the 5870, if calculated approx 1Gb extra 100W, if it is between 40 and 70W 2Gb extra. Maybe a 5870 climb a 460-SLI does not mean a drastic change, if you play well with the 5870 is unlikely to notice any difference in practice, unless you play at resolutions bristles. On the other hand, if you take good money by 5870, why not?