Thread: Ddr vs ddr3 graphics cards

Ddr vs ddr3 graphics cards

I just a small question that keeps going through my head: Can a graphics card that embeds DDR3 memory is compatible with a motherboard that accepts DDR ? One of the tests that we did not realize at the launch of AM3 was to compare the performance of a single CPU on the socket AM3 and AM2 +, to see if DDR3 brought more . any idea? Please reply.

Re: Ddr vs ddr3 graphics cards

Only a weak preference to the configuration AM3/DDR3 . It is obvious that the owners or Dragon Spider platform have no interest in spending their money in Dragon Update and DDR3. On the contrary , those who delayed the upgrade of their PC until today had better opt for the newer platform , the surcharge of DDR3 constantly decreasing , and DDR2 are heading for extinction.

Under our two tests TMPGEnc 4.6 DivX and Xvid give the advantage to the DDR3. Again, the relative difference is very thin (less than 2%) , but it persists. It reminds us that happened in 2000 when AMD 760 chipset introduced the DDR. Profits may be low today, but we can expect that the system architecture becomes even more dependent on memory bandwidth as DDR3 becomes widespread. The good news is that the 4GB kits of DDR3 -1333 are about € 60 - very far from prohibitive tariffs of their beginnings. Keep in mind that if you buy today modules requiring a strong economic power supply , you may not be reused in the future if you upgrade to a Core i7 platform.

Compatibility between the motherboard and graphics card depends, in general, ports : the motherboard must be of the same type as that of the graphics card ( AGP / AGP or PCI - Express 16X 16X/PCI-Express ) . This requires that you know what type of graphics port your motherboard has . In fact I had not seen that DDR graphics card and DDR motherboard had nothing to do but in fact the type of port PCI Express or AGP.

The fundamental component of the motherboard is the chipset: it determines which CPU can work on this motherboard ( they must be compatible socket ) , it also determines the type of RAM managed ( DDR2 DDR3 or DDR2 and DDR3). To be perfectly compatible, they must be part of the same generation , and sometimes even be from the same manufacturer . A new -generation processor will not work on an old motherboard too , even with an updated bios.

DDR3 can go up in frequency more than the DDR standard.Mais good on the middle range as 6600 GT/6800 not as important as on the high end where DDR3 is indispensable today . L Architecture of the GPU (number of pixel / vertex pipelines in particular) it is crucial . All these cards WinFast PX9500GT have in common is a GeForce 9500GT clocked at 575 MHz , 25 MHz higher than the frequency recommended by nVidia and 32 Stream Processors or shaders running at 1400 MHz .

Yes the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is very important because with DDR3 you 'll have a better frequency and therefore better performance ! And the motherboard is capable of supporting any type of memory SDR , DDR , DDR2 or DDR3 regarding the graphics card ! I have a Radeon HD 4850 with 512MB of GDDR3 while my RAM is DDR2. How would you use a Radeon HD 4870 , since it is in GDDR5 , and that no PC currently has this type of RAM.