Thread: How long until high end gpu's are external?

How long until high end gpu's are external?

Hi, I just want to say you something so just get ready to face it. Actually the ATX motherboard it is actually not designed for cooling GPUs, especially 300W GPUs, let alone FOUR 300W GPUs. In fact in this motherboard the slot design of PCIEit just a plain one. And I don't think so that ATX will change to something useful any time soon. So I think external GPUs will be the norm in a few years. Yeah till now I know that GTX 480 is hot as hell right now. And I think for how much time because soon the slot design of ATX becomes a much bigger limiting factor to GPU design? Can anybody have solution of this.

Re: How long until high end gpu's are external?

In this that whatever you are asking on the topic of GPU getting external in that I just want to say that a redesign where the video card has a dedicated area would be good simply for the fact that you need more room for larger or custom cooling and just how big and long these cards are getting.The CPU has plenty of space around the socket for all sorts of large cooling options but video cards are always limited in what you can place in that area without blocking off needed slots or other areas.Video cards need not be as loud or hot, the problem is that we are cooling something with far more transistors and more power consumption than the CPU with tiny cooling solutions and tiny fans mounted in an efficient manner that pale in comparison to even the most generic CPU fan tower. I think now this information help you a lot.
    Last edited by Wappinger; 02-09-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Whatever you are saying from this I have just calculated that you are completely from backwards. I don't know any reason actually there is no good reason to expect external gpus to ever be normal. the technology exists to do it and yet nobody has ever cared. computers are getting smaller, not bigger. The "norm" in a few years has nothing to do ATX motherboards. So I think from this you can update your information.

Hi buddy actually I am also using 5850. But the problem with this is that my 5850 was actually a bump in the opposite direction. Cooler running and drawing less power than the previous generation. I don't see external GPU for desktops going anywhere. So anyone can help me on this. So please if you have solution then post it as soon as it is possible.

Whatever you are saying actually the same problem was also happening with my friend. Then we google on this topic and one of the forum site we got the solution of that. Which I just want to share with you. I think it will surely fix this.Just increase the temperatures and you're fine. People are still stuck on this notion that something should run at 70C or 80C or whatever. Design chips that can withstand higher temperatures and you can run more power. Increase the number of fins and increase the air flow and you can run more power. Just try it dude it will surely help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    Whatever you are saying from this I have just calculated that you are completely from backwards. I don't know any reason actually there is no good reason to expect external gpus to ever be normal. the technology exists to do it and yet nobody has ever cared. computers are getting smaller, not bigger. The "norm" in a few years has nothing to do ATX motherboards. So I think from this you can update your information.
    Hey I've also bought 4 cases in the last 15 years and each one is bigger than the previous. Sure the office pc is smaller but this site isn't for office pc's. The power draw has been increasing since the voodoo 1 and games like Crysis 2 is enough of a reason for that power draw to continue to increase each generation. So I think it will improve your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by David23 View Post
    Whatever you are saying actually the same problem was also happening with my friend. Then we google on this topic and one of the forum site we got the solution of that. Which I just want to share with you. I think it will surely fix this.Just increase the temperatures and you're fine. People are still stuck on this notion that something should run at 70C or 80C or whatever. Design chips that can withstand higher temperatures and you can run more power. Increase the number of fins and increase the air flow and you can run more power. Just try it dude it will surely help you.
    Whatever your saying here have you tried it on your pc.I am asking all these because whatever you are asking to me like Increase the temperature? Design to a higher temperature? Time for you to take a physics course! Basically that isn't possible with the transistor technology currently used. So first see what you are posting if you don't know then please don't post your unwanted replies.