Thread: How to get smoke smell out of used video card?

How to get smoke smell out of used video card?

I picked up a couple of old AGP cards. There was no problem with it so long. Now the problem is that they give out the smoke smell. Not a big deal I guess. I want to get rid of the smell. Please help me. I have not seen smoke coming out of it. I even do not know the real cause of this. Whether it is because of the PSU or something else. Please Help.Thanks.

Re: How to get smoke smell out of used video card?

I have really heard or came across this first time. Well I really do not know that if it is because of the PSU. If you want to get rid of the smell then you should have gone for the Compressed Air option. I would have done this first if I would have been in your place. Give a dose of it and I guess that this should really solve your problem. Try it and let me know. Also check again the connections. Take care that no short circuit has taken place.

Try as many cleaning agent as you can on your risk. You can rub it down with those cleaning agent. The only care that you need to take care of is do not use hard stuff that may result in dissolving parts of the card. Also try to have a faint smell of smoke sticking it. There is the importance of that particle which is leading to this smoke in the material itself. It should not be removed completely.

Please do not put the entire card into the cleansing agent, the IC's could get damage because the capacitors hold charge in it.They can be short circuited through water. This smoke would be the result of HSF. Remove the HSF carefully and then remove the fan. Then dunk it in as long as possible. After giving it a good wash completely dry it. Now reattach all the components. Guess this works.

One of my colleague suggested this thing. He told me to take a bunch of dryer sheets(Dryer sheets are gauze-like tissues which are used to eliminate static cling and add artificial fragrance). Now place it with the thing that smells, in an air tight bag. Seal the bag and leave it with the dryer sheet for a day or two. I think that this is the best possible idea that can be used without any problem.
    Last edited by CAILYN; 01-09-2010 at 05:24 AM.

The best thing is to do the things in the simplest manner. If I would have been there then I would have taken the cover off of that PC and put it in the sun for days. Fresh air and the sunlight can help the smoke smell dissipate. I think that this may really work. Give it a try and let me know. If it did not work then you can go for the option below
    Quote Originally Posted by CAILYN View Post
    One of my colleague suggested this thing. He told me to take a bunch of dryer sheets(Dryer sheets are gauze-like tissues which are used to eliminate static cling and add artificial fragrance). Now place it with the thing that smells, in an air tight bag. Seal the bag and leave it with the dryer sheet for a day or two. I think that this is the best possible idea that can be used without any problem.

I was playing game and then suddenly my system turned off. I did not get it, it just happened suddenly. Then the smell started to come out, it was like the plastic was burning. I looked down and saw some smoke coming out. I opened the case to see if there was something serious damage has been done, but to my surprise every thing looked "OK". Then I took everything off, and then reassembled everything and turned on the system. Now when I added the Video Card for obtaining the display it did not turned up can you please help me. Is my motherboard damaged. Please help.

I think that the power supply of your system is failing. Usually mother boards and video cards produce little or no smoke. You have also mentioned that no visible damage has been observed. The description that you just gave matches to all the things that occur while power supply fails. This could have also damaged the Video Card. Check your power supplies.