Thread: Black screen on Window 7 after plugging in HDMI cable

Black screen on Window 7 after plugging in HDMI cable

HI, am having a Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q701 laptop with Vista which i have upgraded to Windows 7 couple of weeks ago. It was working fine in all matters but from last few days am facing some annoying problem when i attach HDMI cable to the same. Whenever i plug the cable, the screen just goes black and does nothing. After i unplug the cable, the screen turns to normal but gets freezed and dont allows me to do anything unless its reboot. Could you guys please help me out in fixing the same ? Please suggest something.

Re: Black screen on Window 7 after plugging in HDMI cable

Before trying some huge troubleshooting, first of all try pressing Alt + 5 when you get the blackscreen on plugging in HDMI cable. This is what I was use to do on my Toshiba laptop for the same problem. If you are unable to fix the problem by doing this, unplug the cable, restart the laptop and visit the Nvidia site.

Now you have to download and install all the latest Nvidia drivers compatible with your system. Also don’t forget to install HDMI control center. Once you are finished, reboot and try to plug cable. Hope you will not face the black screen again. Do reply the results.

One of my friends is aware of this error and this is what he had suggested me to fix this issue: Boot the system in safe mode with networking and verify that it is working fine or not. To do so reboot your system and tap F8 key. Make sure to press F8 earlier than the Windows logo come into view .If you failed than you will require to try again by waiting awaiting the Windows logon prompt and next rebooting the laptop again. Once you are on the Advanced Boot Options screen, select “Safe Mode with Networking” by scrolling with the arrow keys and then press Enter. You possibly will need to visit your manufacturer’s site as well and ensure for the latest HDMI drivers.

Networking Mode is working fine but the thing I observed is that hdmi is not compatible in that mode. Not sure what exactly what suggested to do. Well I enter into safe mode, logged with networking, but what else. When I plugged in the HDMI cable while in networking mode, the screen remain normal but system was unable to distinguish that the TV is there, moreover .I do appreciate all your helps. Please let m e know what else I can do to fix this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by chyna View Post
    Networking Mode is working fine but the thing I observed is that hdmi is not compatible in that mode. Not sure what exactly what suggested to do. Well I enter into safe mode, logged with networking, but what else. When I plugged in the HDMI cable while in networking mode, the screen remain normal but system was unable to distinguish that the TV is there, moreover .I do appreciate all your helps. Please let m e know what else I can do to fix this problem?
    The best fix I got to fix this black screen error while plugging HDMI cable is by hitting FN/F5 keys to switch back. Or simply set the needed drivers to "clone mode" in your CP. That’s exactly what I did in my case and all things got sorted.