Thread: Hauppauge HVR-1290

Hauppauge HVR-1290

Hi, I'm hoping somebody here can help me. I ordered a HP Hauppauge wintv HVR-1290 capture card. Today I received it and it only came with a disc with nothing written on it. The contents are basically for other capture cards (I think, nothing refers to HVR-1290) and a couple versions of Wintv, which goes up to 6.

I did download version 7 through Hauppauge but it refuses to install without the original disc, and the disc I have isn't counted.

So I tried installing version 6, I can't get a picture at all. I tried scanning for channels like I have with my previous card, on an older computer, and it makes all the static like it's changing channels but doesn't give me channel 3 like I had before.

I installed 2k and that too did the same thing. I have both composite and TV hooked up. My tv cable is considered analog, I have a private box from Comcast I connect only to my card, so it gets reception.

But, I have Ulead Video Studio 9 and Corel Video Studio Pro x3 and I can view both the analog tv, like I could with my old tuner on an old computer and also the composites. Apparently my capture card does work, but I can't figure out how to make it work with WinTV. That was always my go to program, the pictures always better through that program.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I am on a HP computer, with Windows 7.

The driver I used to install the card was from the HP website, so it's compatible with Windows 7. I just purchased this computer, HP Pavilion p6516f-b. My previous computer had Windows XP Media Center, so this version of Windows is very overwhelming... and confusing.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1290

The problem definately seems to be related with some settings I guess. I would recommend you try installing the driver for your tuner card located here. While there's a possibility that you may be able to get it working in Windows 7, it's better to resolve the issue before upgrading. It's a TV Tuner, so I would think those are inputs into the TV Tuner. For output, you would connect the Graphics card output to the TV if you want to do what you're doing. You can get more information related to your querrie here - Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1290 (Model 85xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM, SW Encode)
    Using S-Video to connect to WinTv HVR 1290
    WinTV HVR 1290 Tuner

I appreciate your help but, I have already installed that driver, and I also have already read through all three of those threads prior to posting the original message. There's nothing wrong with the cables and I'm not trying to hook up a S cable instead of coax. If that was the case, I would have bought a different capture card. It's hooked up to the cable with the coax and hooked up to my dvd recorder through composite. With a bunch of poking around, I made matters worse and now another program won't allow it to work. Now only the Corel x3 works.

If you are still using the WinTV v6 then you should know that it is not supported under Windows 7. If you download WinTV v7 from the web site it should all work. You'll need your original CD in the drive during the installation to get it installed. Give that a try and let us know how you get on.

Is there a way to install WinTV 7 without a WinTV 7 disc? I tried and it said to put in the disc, then it wouldn't take. I even tried pointing it to WinTV 6 and WinTV 2000, with no luck.

I installed a program named ChrisTV which also captures and it did find my channel after clicking on having problems finding the channel. But then it says I probably have a corrupt WDM and I don't have MPEG Hardware encoding installed.

There is a step by step guide given on the original hauppauge site on how to install WinTV v7:

• Download the WinTV v7 installation package
    • Unpack the installer on your PC
    • Install the latest Windows driver for your Hauppauge WinTV product
      • (make sure the WinTV is plugged into your PC or notebook)
      • (requires a reboot of your PC during this step)
    • Install WinTV v7 and its utilities
    • Run WinTV v7

More information can be found here.