Thread: Monitor goes black after graphics driver installation

Monitor goes black after graphics driver installation

Hello, I had to reinstall Windows XP a few days back when I installed the video drivers but on a computer restart the monitor screen went black, however booting up in safe mode is working fine. Windows will work fine only if I uninstall the graphics driver again even in normal mode. I have a Intel D865GLC mobo and i have randomly downloaded its drivers from its support site, intel. Can anyone please help me out with this problem.

Re: Monitor goes black after graphics driver installation

Did you try to download and install the latest driver for your graphics chipset in your mobo from the intel site? In any case go here and download the latest version of the driver, first select your operating system, and below it you will get a complete different list of graphic driver for your type of mobo. Hope that helps.

If you are having too much trouble which driver to choose from the intel site then use its detect utility. With the Intel Driver Update Utility, your Intel graphics driver will remain up-to-date. It detects which graphics updates are relevant to your computer, and then helps you install them quickly and easily. Below is the link for Intel Driver Update Utility:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm

If you want you can also find the instructions directly from the intel site if you receive an error that you have OEM drivers. The solution for this involves using the Windows "Have Disk/Known File" method for updating a driver. A disk is not needed. To apply the work-around, follow the below steps:

If you have Microsoft Windows XP, click Have Disk Installation steps for Windows XP, here.

Can you please post the GMA diagnostic report? If you want to access the diagnostic report, follow the steps given below:

1. First, you need to right click on desktop and select "Graphics Properties".
    2. Then once the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel" opens, click on "Options and Support".
    3. After that click "Information Center".
    4. Then click the "Save" button in the upper right corner and save the diagnostic information to a text file.
    5. You then just need to copy the information in the text file to this Forum.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

This is a known issue that is listed on the intel forums, after installing the following drivers Windows displays blank (black) screen instead of login screen:
    • 15.17.4.64.2119 (8.15.10.2119)
    • 15.17.3.64.2104 (8.15.10.2104)
    • 15.17.1.64.2086 (8.15.10.2086)

An therefore the latest driver that seems to work now (after few hours of installing drivers back and forth) is the LAST available for download; ie; 2010-06-01: 15.16.5.64.2021 (8.15.10.2021). You can download it from here. This is for people who are having Windows Vista / Windows 7 installed in their machine.