Thread: BSOD with atikmdag.sys when installing ATI Catalyst 10.6

BSOD with atikmdag.sys when installing ATI Catalyst 10.6

I just came to know about ATI Catalyst 10.6 released recently and so went through the procedure to install it on my computer. Everything went as normal and my computer asked me to reboot in order to complete the installation. But as soon as I did it, I got BSOD after Windows logo appears. The blue screen reported something related to atikmdag.sys. Does anyone know about this BSOD error ? Can you help me in this matter?

Re: BSOD with atikmdag.sys when installing ATI Catalyst 10.6

I had also installed the same driver but didn't got this problem. Can you provide us the complete specification of your computer so that we can rectify if it is related to something else? I suppose this is a potential issue. And did you tried booting in Safe Mode? Are you able to boot Windows?

Oh I am sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried booting in Safe mode and I am able to load Windows. I am currently using my computer in Safe Mode only. Regarding my computer specification, I am running Windows 7 32 bit with Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Transcend 4GB RAM, Intel Core i7, HD5850.

There is no problem with your build according to my knowledge. I think you should try installing the drivers once again. First uninstall the current installation of ATI Catalyst 10.6 from your computer, use a driver cleaner software to clean your Windows Registry and then try to install the driver once again. Make sure it doesn't hang up during the installation procedure.

I did run into the same problem. Installed 10.6 and after a week or so i had to reboot because of a windows update and got the bsod. The solution for me is at least atm going back to 10.4.
    Start in safe mode (at first i had even problems booting this but no clue why shift+ctrl at boot saved me), go to hardware components and unistall the graphiccard, dont forget to tick the box where it asks if you want to delete the driver from the system. Now reboot normal and install 10.4.

Well, I was able to install the ATI Catalyst 10.6 after 4 tries, basically, you need to completely uninstall all the Ati software with the help of Catalyst Install Manager alongwith all Crossfire app profile updates, try to run DriverSweeper and restart and install ATI Catalyst 10.6 again and reboot and install Crossfire app profile update. That will work fine.

well, having the same (i7, 6gb of ram, hd4870x2, windows 7 x64) can install but bsod after restart..tried few times uninstaling all ati software and nothing ...'m pissed off a little bit

Many users are facing this problem and some of them were able to solve it by uninstalling the drivers with driversweeper, cleaning the registry with CCleaner and TuneUp, and installing the driver again. If this things doesn't work then maybe a downward compatible driver should be installed to get a proper working condition.

yep, downgrading to 10.5 working well... ati, screw you with absolutelly useles drivers

the 10.6 version does some tweaking to the bios i think, i had a problem but not this. my PC came to life once i cleared my bios to default settings.

try running your PC without the card. and if it starts, then uninstall the 10.6.

sorry mate but no chance to start pc without graphic card

why?

it should run on the onboard right?

well, haven't onboard graphics card

stuffD7,

What is the make/model of your motherboard, whats your full computer specifications? I agree there are some boards that dont come with onboard video support but by attaching some pci based display card you can still turn on your monitor and get connected.

NO ONBOARD!!!!!!???? what is it??