Thread: Need help understanding AMD CPU's and compatibility

Need help understanding AMD CPU's and compatibility

Right now, I have an Pentium 4 3.2 processing at 3.5, Motherboard as ASUS P4P800 SE , ATI Radeontm X800 (AGP - I am not much sure about this ), 4 GB of PC2700 or 3200 memory, a SATA drive running with the 32 bit Windows 7.
    I need to upgrade my system with an affordable AMD CPU which is capable of working on the 64 bit Windows 7, can cover up my previous memory space, Sata drive, and video card as well . I was searching for a 939 socket CPU. However, I am getting confused about the processors that which one would work with my previous components. I was also considering to implement an Asus A8V motherboard. It would be very fine to have a Board and CPU that will execute my components but also cover up a SATA 3GB. I have some doubts and I am that lucky though. Can somebody here suggest me about the combo, and also able to describe that what processor families will be compatible with my previously attached components ?

Re: Need help understanding AMD CPU's and compatibility

If you got a socket 939 enabled motherboard, any socket 939 A64 CPU will be fine and perform very well, with the help of most of the Opteron socket939 CPU's. If you are running with the PC2700 then in that case, you will require to downclock the RAM with the value of frequency as 333MHz, as s939 proceed with 400MHz(PC3200) and this is the default behavior. The P4p800 uses AGP slot, so you have to search out a board which should be enabled with the AGP if you need to use your X800. The A8V Deluxe is a better board, the A8V-VM is not and doesn't contains AGP slot.

Hi guys !
    I am running with a MSI RS480M2 (MS-7093) Motherboard with the capability of 2GB of DDR memory and a AMD 64 3200+ CPS. I need to upgrade my CPU but I have some difficulties and you can say that is the confusion and I am not sure about what I can get for this motherboard. I figured out that AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ AM2 and also 6000+ CPU's are these compatible with my motherboard . I though and hope that the above stated components makes sense , if you have any ideas and suggestions regarding this, so please send me some appreciated fix for this .

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibi.D View Post
    I am running with a MSI RS480M2 (MS-7093) Motherboard with the capability of 2GB of DDR memory and a AMD 64 3200+ CPS. I need to upgrade my CPU but I have some difficulties and you can say that is the confusion and I am not sure about what I can get for this motherboard. I figured out that AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ AM2 and also 6000+ CPU's are these compatible with my motherboard . I though and hope that the above stated components makes sense , if you have any ideas and suggestions regarding this, so please send me some appreciated fix for this .
    Unfortunately, now you can't get any upgrade path associated with this board as it works and now retired socket 939. if you really wanted to go for that then in another way,you can try to search a used socket 939 CPU, but to be honest this is the suggestion from me that you should go for the new motherboard, memory, and CPU.