Thread: CUDA with BOINC

CUDA with BOINC

I use BOINC and every time you start the computer I have to restart the daemon once logged manually or it does not recognize the GPU. Also many times default BOINC daemon requires a password (it seems) the GUI can not remember, I had not had this problem under Ubuntu. But I installed CUDA 2.1. Also please tell me more about the CUDA with BOINC, which would be useful for me in future.

Re: CUDA with BOINC

Regarding consult your question, no application still uses BOINC version 3.0 of CUDA programming language created by nVidia, supported by 196 + drivers. They are still in version 2.3. Anyway, CUDA is currently dead in the calculation since the shared HP NVidia are clamped to a quarter of their power. BOINC calculates using GPUs (like the project GPUgrid), when the graphics card is compatible. Otherwise, it is possible to install BOINC as regards the use of the CPU (processor) and Folding home client dedicated to the customers high performance with respect to the GPU (graphics processor).

The main reason for this lack, is that applications must be specially written for Windows / Linux / Mac and it would need to add CUDA (for Nvidia) and Steam (for ATI). Already ported to Linux that was long, so get to see these calculations for our GPUs ... (Since this is not the same kind of instruction to use the GPU are "dumb" when CPUs are "smart" (in short a very simplistic, a GPU must first learn how to adds, before making any addition, while the CPU knows from the start to add up)). There are developers trying to make a compatible driver directx9 to pitcher graphics cards. I do not really know the details, but this is under development.

A modest recovery of the subject to indicate that we can actually use the GPU to calculate under BOINC via CUDA!!! The first project to offer support for CUDA his calculations is PS3GRID for the occasion offers a new portal. It is therefore possible to calculate your card under GPUGrid (Model 8600 exceeds the requirement to stay within the deadline) and as Seti, where all compatible models may be calculated as the CUDA deadline is long enough and short enough UT. Indeed, in recent years, the computer made many advances in terms of computing power. GPUs have become the reference! Since for a low, low price (compared to CPU), GPU compute up to 300 times faster than the CPU.

There are two places where you indicate that you want to use the GPU. One is in the project, in preferences for the project, you must check the option to use GPU. The other is BOINC, in -> Advanced -> preferences -> processor usage, check the box "use GPU when the computer is in use". Your graphics card is a 8800 GTS 320mo with instruction sets CUDA 1.0, we can say that the GPU is that the CPU is SSE3. Your card will be compatible only with projects using this instruction set is seti at home.

Imagine you sleds on a forum that talks about fishing line, and you realize that there is an update for this type of forum (like phpBB). You will not download the update phpBB hoping that the forum will be at the top. On the compute capability of your card, 1.0 in this case, it is information "hardware" on the map. As I like about my imaging: suppose you have a 80 GB hard disk You should just install updates I do not know what, we guess you can not do it this way to 160 GB.That is exactly the same. Your card has technical limitations, and nothing you can do at your level. Especially when installing something that does not function.

Yes. we change one aspect list when the window "Show View Options" is closed and it automatically move it to the state "This window only. "Just give it to the state" All windows ", this does not change the setting column widths that just completed, close the window "Show View Options," close the Finder window ... When you reopen the window it is still in the statement "All windows". You change the width of the third column is, in the case the foreground window, the last column that are posted previews. If you find yourself with a window with four then the third columns will be wider than the fourth, but the previews are in the 4th and will be smaller than what you'd want (this that is the case for a basic window). Now you open a window that has six columns that will be the third most widely so that there no reason why it is so in this case.