Thread: Windows XP + GT240 gives random nv4_disp infinite loop BSOD

Windows XP + GT240 gives random nv4_disp infinite loop BSOD

I am facing a weird problem with the desktop computer which I am using. I am running Windows XP on the computer which has Nvidia GT240 graphic card installed on it. The problem which I am facing is that, while running any application, the system freezes for sometime and then gives a BSOD giving an error message saying "nv4_disp is stuck in an infinite loop". Is this because of operating system which I am using or the graphic card. Please suggest some solutions to solve the problem. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows XP + GT240 gives random nv4_disp infinite loop BSOD

Get the system scanned by some updated antivirus, as I suspect that the system is infected with some kind of virus. Virus when downloaded on the system gets linked with the system files. If such a situation occurs then the system will keep on crashing. Hence scan the system and check if any of the file is infected or not. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected and check if the problem is solved or not.

Check if the drivers for the graphic card are installed and working properly on the system. For all the devices to work properly on the system, appropriate drivers are to be installed. If the appropriate drivers are not installed then the device will not work properly. Hence go to the device manager and check if the drivers for the graphic card are installed and working properly. If there are any caution signs then follow the troubleshooting procedure. If the troubleshooting procedure does not help, then try and update the installed drivers.

I suspect that the graphic card which is installed on the computer is having some hardware problems due to which the graphics card is going into an infinite loop. If the graphic card is under warranty, take it to the nearest Nvidia service center and get it checked. If the graphic card is faulty, it will be replaced for free provided the graphic card is under warranty. Replacing the graphic card will solve the problem.

Have you tried resetting BIOS settings to default? Sometimes the entries in the BIOS setup change due to which some peripherals do not work properly. To change the BIOS settings to default, restart the computer and press delete while booting. Enter the BIOS setup and select option which says, "Load optimal Defaults". Now save and exit the BIOS setup and see if the same error is faced or not.

Check the power supply unit of the computer. By looking at the problem I think the power supply unit of the computer is not able to provide enough power to all the devices which are connected to the device due to which the graphic card is failing. For the graphic card installed on the computer, minimum 500watt power supply has to be used. Hence check the power rating of the PSU and get it changed if it is lower than 500watt. Replacing the power supply unit will solve the problem.

Have you tried updating the mainboard BIOS? It is possible that the motherboard of the computer is not supporting the graphics card which you are using and hence it is becoming unresponsive while working. The devices which are connected to the computer are detected due to the BIOS of the system. Hence try and update the BIOS of the maiboard and see if the problem continues or not