Thread: PCI Express 2.0 card in a PCI Express 1.0 slot?

PCI Express 2.0 card in a PCI Express 1.0 slot?

Hello there I have a desktop computer which is working on Windows XP. The computer has a DFI Lanparty P35 T2R motherboard which only has a PCI express 1.0 slot. The Graphic card which I have bought is a PCI 2.0 express card. So I want to know if PCI Express 2.0 card work in a PCI Express 1.0 slot? Please share some information about the issue. Thanks in advance.

Re: PCI Express 2.0 card in a PCI Express 1.0 slot?

I dont think the PCI express 2.0 card will work on a PCI express 1.0 slot. The graphic card which you are using is more advanced than the slot of the motherboard. Therefore there are very slim chances that the graphic card will work on the PCI express 1.0 slot. I would suggest that you get the motherboard of the computer upgraded.

The PCI express 1.0 card will work on a PCI express 2.0 slot but the PCI express 2.0 card will not work on a PCI express 1.0 slot. Usually all the slots have a downward compatibility due to which the old cards will work properly on the latest slots but latest card will not work on the old slots. Still you can try and check if the graphic card is working or not.

The card will definitely work on the PCI E 1.0 slot without any problems. I am also using an NVIDIA 8800GT card which is PCI-E 2.0 card on my motherboard which is having a single 1.0 PCI express slot. The card is working fine and the performance of the card is also good. So I dont see any problems in using PCI-E 2.0 card on a PCI-E 1.0 slot.

It cant be work,,because PCI express 2.0 is upgraded graphic card.Using it in an old slot of PCI 1.0 is not advisable.Definitely it couldnt work.

The graphics card of PCI express 2.0 will fit and work properly on a PCI express 1.0 slot. The PCI-E 2.0 has backward compatibility with PCI-E 1.0 and hence there would be no problem in using the PCI-E 2.0 card in PCI-E 1.0 slot. So I would suggest that you go ahead and connect the card to the motherboard and check the performance of the card.

The card will no doubt work in a PCI-E 1.0 slot but it will not work at full speed or bandwidht on which it is supposed to work. Hence in my opinion for the graphic card to give its optimum performance, the card should be used with a PCI-E 2.0 slot only where the card will work on full speed and bandwidht.

The PCI express 2.0 card will run at 16 times faster than the PCI express card. The problem you may face the problem with the wattage of the PSU. The PSU will have to be able to provide enough power to the PCI express 2.0 card. If the power supply is not able to provide enough power, then the card will not perform at its peak performance.