Thread: Asus 5850 downclocking

Asus 5850 downclocking

Hello there, I am facing a weird problem with my Asus 5850 graphic card. On the desktop of the computer, the core clock is running at 157 and the memory clock is running at 300. When I start the game I am not able to watch the clock speeds. So I want to know if there is any way in which I will be able to see the clock speeds while gaming? Also I want to know if there are any ways for Downclocking Asus 5850 as I have overclocked it. Please share some information about the issue. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Asus 5850 downclocking

Yes you can downclock a graphic card in the same way as which you have used for overclocking the graphic card. The only advantage in downclocking a graphic card is to reduce the power consumption of the graphic card. But downclocking also works on the same principle of Overclocking. The graphic card will only work properly at certain clock speeds. Hence I would suggest that you check the clock speeds which are supported by your graphic card and then downclock the graphic card.

There must be some application provided by Asus to monitor the clock frequency of the graphic card while running certain gaming applications. Check the official website of Asus and download the application on the computer. See if you are able to monitor the clock speeds of the GPU while playing game or not. I think you will have to minimize the game while checking the clock speed of the graphic card.

One of the application which I use to monitor the clock speeds of the different devices which are overclocked is MSI Afterburner. MSI afterburner once installed gives exact operating clock frequency and the temperature of the device which is overclocked while running any high end graphics application. The application takes up very less memory space on the system memory and hence will not create any problems in the performance of the computer.

The application which you have suggested is for MSI products therefore do I have to do some configuration for running the application for Asus graphic card? Will the application conflict with the graphic card which I am using? If the application has to be configured, please give the required settings for the application.

To use MSI afterburner to monitor the clock speeds and temperature of the Asus graphic card, you will have to enable the settings on the MSI Afterburner so that the clocks will show up on the OSD. Once this settings are enabled, you will not face any problems while monitoring the performance of the graphic card.

Thanks for helping out. I downloaded and installed the MSI Afterburner on the computer and enabled the settings on the MSI afterburner which helped in displaying all the clock speeds on the OSD. According to the readings, all the devices which are overclocked are working fine.