Thread: What does ATI Overdrive actually do

What does ATI Overdrive actually do

Hi,
    I have a ATI Radeon Graphic card. I had overclocked my processor. Until I had overclocked the ATI Overdrive. Everything here works weel and after sometime I discovered that the automatic software has found some clock crash rates. Then I put it back, however briefly, because I wanted to test the performance differences between the high and low with the DX10 benchmark. I need some help related to ATI Overdrive. How does this program actually works.

Re: What does ATI Overdrive actually do

Its going to overclock your graphics card, your bandwidth will increase but the temperature of your graphics card too. All the cards they limit frequency of their own mounts so little by little and as soon as its shit like freeze or artifact you back down because you attain limits. You simply increases the frequency and the graphics card is overclocked.

It is not at the level of quality that is AC, it is within the frames per second, FPS. For example, you rule a game in High mode the output is 18fps. You overclock, and you can win 3 or 4 FPS and have so 22/23FPS is already a bit better. But should not expect to gain enormously. And it will also depend on the games. With Crysis for example you will gain almost nothing even with 700/1200Mhz. Otherwise max level frequencies are given by ATI overdrive normally stable.

OverDrive tab is not present in the advanced options of your Radeon 9600 XT. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and control panel there have obviously not changed in many cases. Yet this feature is present in the Catalyst 3.8 release since the famous and she is supposed to work with the chipsets Radeon 9600 XT and Radeon 9800 XT.

For your information, the function of ATI OverDrive allows, once activated, the dynamic increase in the frequency and hence the performance of graphics chipset, while ensuring (through component LM63?) That the temperature does not increase too much. Note that future versions of Catalyst drivers should also allow overclock the memory and not just the chipset.

I have a very similar system, P5Q - 4850 - Kingston HX 4GB, so I started the Overdrive and myself deserved BSOD and restarts nuisance. If you're caught in a spiral like, you start in Safe Mode and you uninstall any ATI hardware, or you're cooked. Me not giving up yet, but I foresee some ATI / AMD has a long way to go to give the strength of their drivers, they are still too chilly and the overdrive should not be offered under such condition.