Thread: Can't Boot Linux with GeForce 6200

Can't Boot Linux with GeForce 6200

A couple of days previously I added a PNY Verto GeForce 6 6200 PCI card to my Intel D945GCPE motherboard. I am able to boot into Windows XP and Vista without any troubles, but every time I try booting Linux, the boot succession halts or forces a reboot. I tried to boot the installed Ubuntu 8.04, Fedora 9 and openSUSE 11.0 and the entire of these stall during the boot succession. I then tried Mandriva 2008 Flash (Live USB) and it forever forces a reboot 75% into the boot procedure. So I tried to boot more than a few Live CDs (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora) and the entire of these failed to boot as well.

Re: Can't Boot Linux with GeForce 6200

You will not have any troubles at the entire with XP and Vista, but every attempt at booting a variety of Linux distros fail. If you switch back to the onboard Intel GMA 950 graphics, the entire Linux distros run as customary. I guess you might boot into existing installations with the onboard graphics and install the most recent Nvidia driver, but that is not amazing you be capable to do with Live CDs and a number of Live USBs which you often necessitate to work.

I have accurately similar symptoms with ati card as an alternative of GeForce. After perhaps 40 hours of messing with it, I suppose trouble is that the BIOS switch on the Intel board does not create the built-in video imperceptible to Ubuntu so when you boot, with the bios toggled to the GeForce, ubuntu loads the built-in video first and then observes the GeForce, tries to load that and crashes. I consideration of this regarding 3 am, this morning so I have not checked it out yet. What I am going to try is blacklisting the built-in video and observe if that runs.

You can fix it. By means of the video set to onboard in BIOS, carry up Ubuntu. You have to go to /etc/modprobe.d, edit blacklist, and add two lines: blacklist Intel_agp & blacklist agpgart. And at the end save the file. At present, when you boot next time, you determine to necessitate altering the BIOS to the Nvidia and switching the cable. It worked for most of the time, but if this does not run for you, let you know. Did as you said and at present the card runs with Linux.

I am not certain regarding this, but as the installer asked if it be supposed to download a suitable kernel, it looks similar to you might be missing a number of significant packages that are desirable in organize to build the nvidia drivers. My guess is that you necessitate at least "build-essential" and "linux-headers-generic". An additional difficulty is that even if you have uninstalled nvidia-glx or nvidia-glx-new, the kernel sections for those drivers determine to still be left and disagreement with your newer driver. But I imagine envy determine to take care of together of these troubles for you.

It is almost certainly not your video card where the difficulty lies but it’s probable for the reason that the majority video cards you have seen/used determine to output mirror pictures on a db15/dvi port so which ever position you plug your monitor in it be supposed to get a signal in view of the fact that, your monitor has a dvi and a db15 connectors on it, there was a setting you essentially had to set in the control panel of the monitor to switch its output.