Thread: KVM Switch recognizes XP computer but not Vista

KVM Switch recognizes XP computer but not Vista

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP Professional and a Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista Home. I just bought a KVM switch with USB ports for the keyboard and mouse. I connected the 17" monitor to the KVM switch I have full functionality of the keyboard, mouse, and video (monitor) on the XP computer. However, when I switch to the Vista computer, I only have video only during boot up. Then after Vista loads, I get a black screen with an error message: "Cannot display video in this mode."

Any suggestions?

Failed troubleshooting attempts so far:
    • Reboot both computers with KVM connected (once while KVM switch was on XP computer and once while switch was on Vista computer)
    • Switch KVM connections (e.g. XP in PC1 and Vista in PC2, then vice versa) and rebooted after each configuration
    • Reboot the Vista computer without the KVM swtich, adjust resolution to lowest settings, and reboot with KVM switch connected

NOTE: There is keyboard functionality of the Vista computer when connected to the KVM switch, because I have to scroll to which Vista mode I want to run during boot up.

Re: KVM Switch recognizes XP computer but not Vista

To operate the KVM and power switcher and display on pc I make the installation of cables with VGA screen and both my pc without connecting the PS2 ports (useless for MY case). No response, the KVM does not work. Then, on a PC, I connect PS2 keyboard port ONLY for nurture and recognize my PC1 by the KVM. On PC2, so I had to plug my USB mouse in order to connect the PS2 mouse cable VGA KVM. The CPU is powered, it recognizes both my PC and I can switch screen easily.