Thread: HDMI video shutdown/sleep

HDMI video shutdown/sleep

I want to use HDMI (not that it matters any vs. DVI), but it doesn't react to "shut down monitor after 20 minutes" in Win7 (nor in Vista before I upgraded to 7).

I have a Radian 4750 video card, ASUS P5Q Turbo Pro MoBo. 8 GB RAM, Quad Intel CPU. The DVI power behavior into this monitor works fine. My monitor is a Viewsonic VX2640w. But the HDMI simply won't force the monitor to sleep.

Any ideas, anyone? Also, for PC's, IS there a video advantage in HDMI vs. DVI? I find varying opinions on the web.

Re: HDMI video shutdown/sleep

The video advantage between HDMI and DVI depends on the source of the video and the display which you are using. You cannot say that the HDMI component is better than DVI component or vice a versa. Also the as the monitor is not going to sleep indicates some hardware problem.

Re: HDMI video shutdown/sleep

Ahh...Thanks for the reply. Man, there's a lot of varied opinion, I tell ya! Blue-Ray supposedly has to run over HDMI over a PC, and other opinion regarding power is there's no signal sent to the monitor to go "idle" or Sleep" when the connection to the video card is HDMI. A CEDIA guy told me last night that it's not in the HDMI standard to send a "sleep" command, unfortunately. If DVI-D is same-same , I figure I get the "sleep" function that way and call it a day, no? It's just that this monitor is a 26", burns some power and makes some heat. Not that big a deal to hit the power button, but over time, the power button dies and a 50,000-hour rated monitor is no good.

The things we struggle over, eh?