Thread: Defeating overscan

Defeating overscan

Recently, I bought an RCA L40FHD380 HDTV for using as a monitor for my computer system . nvidia's Windows driver facilitates a feature that allows one to re-size the display size of the desktop to compensate for overscan features in HD sets.

I am unable to find out the service documentation for my purchased model, so unable to disable over scan on the set, but I would really like to know if you all has suggestions for defeating this. I already have tried so many model lines but the television is getting down to it's next lowest resolution (720p) if I am going for an explicit model line. Virtual doesn't seem to produce desired results either. Anyone have good suggestions for how to fix this?

Defeating overscan

I have some thing that can resolve your issue but it is something different than whatever problem you have currently. I am running with the configuration but have some other components but It also can help you to find your way.

First of all , Get a copy of your monitor's current EDID related information. It can be happened with the read-edit tool. However, it is apparently limited to x86-32. When our network contains with x86-64 systems, I had to resort to plugging the monitor into a Windows box and with the help of Phoenix EDID Designer. Phoenix EDID Designer is working as both functionality as an EDID editor and a reader. You desire to save the raw binary EDID information.

Defeating overscan

If you are running with windows created hdtv modelines with the help of powerstrip. It also allows you to export modelines to the similar format as used by X in xorg.conf.

Unfortunately, this is actually does not help since the 'Resize HDTV Desktop' property the nvidia windows driver does not actually configure the resolution. You can check the validation by generating a modeline from pstrip, resizing the desktop, and then creating a second modeline. According to my testing, the modelines are same. I suspect this is because the nvidia windows tool is actually setting some types of 'Scale' parameter on the card.

Defeating overscan

Now that you have your EDID information, you requires to wipe the extensions flag and update the checksum. If you are working with the Phoenix EDID Designer then in this case, you can just configure the field 'Number of extensions' in the General tab to 0.

If you are using read-edid or nvidia-settings to find your EDID, then you can use edid_disable_exts. It is a little tool that I wrote that does the same thing. when you have done the creation of a modified EDID file then copy it to /etc/X11/something.edid.

Defeating overscan

At last, we will indicate to the nVidia driver to use this EDID file instead of the one the monitor sends it. Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nVidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/L2410NM-modified.edid"
    EndSection

Here file shows that it is using a Westinghouse L2410NM monitor, which is suffering with the EDID issues. You can override the EDID with the CustomEDID option provided by the nVidia driver and then your text and pictures will look good again.