Thread: Radeon 4670 display drivers crash crysis in windows 7

Radeon 4670 display drivers crash crysis in windows 7

So I have (for the first time, and with day-care style supervision from a much more capable friend) built a Living Room all-around Desktop PC with all new parts (see rig specs below).
    For my day one launch I have purchased Crysis Max edition. I am not an expert by any means when it comes to PC hardware OR software, but have what I would consider a working knowledge of both. I have been told that Crysis is a good way to guage your graphic card potential, since I am unconcerned with all my other specs (CPU, RAM, etc).

After installing all components and drivers, including the latest catalyst version, firing up windows 7 64 bit premium edition and adjusting display settings to appropriate level (1024x768), I ran crysis for the first time. It takes me through all of the opening sequences and I set my display options to the recomended settings (high), and start a new campaign. It goes through the opening cutscenes flawlessly, with the exception of the ocasional refresh flicker. when it gets to the very first user controlled sequence the screen freezes and windows closes the window indicating that the display driver has stopped working and has been recovered. Running the game again, it gets a little further into the gameplay (about 1-2 minutes) looking great and and running smoothly, and then crashes again this time only indicating that Crysis has stopped working, and offering no explanation this time. subsequent retries only get me a little bit further each time before crashing.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the catalyst drivers and the problem persists. I've tried using a video card stability test application which rotates 2 globes. It didn't seem to offer any details, but the globes spin pretty choppy considering it's not very graphic intensive.
    I've run out of ideas that don't involve formatting and starting over again...

This is obviously cutting into the excitement of my new PC. Admittedly I ordered this 'barebones bundle' from Tiger Direct and have already ordered a Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5 so the switching of cards may solve the problem, but I'm more concerned that there is an underlying problem with my other components or set up or perhaps the catalyst drivers which I believe the 5670 ALSO uses.

I know there are a lot of variables and this request has become quite wordy, but please, any suggestions or assistance you can provide will be tremendously appreciated.

Respecfully,
    -Lammz

My system set up:

Intel DP55WB Socket LGA1156 Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz 8M LGA1156 CPU
    OCZ 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum Low Voltage 2x2GB
    WD Caviar Green 1TB 32MB/SATA-3G
    XFX Radeon HD 4670 1GB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
    Ultra LSP650 650w Power Supply
    LG 22X DVDRW SATA
    Ultra XBlaster Clear Side Blk Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    42" Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV for Monitor Connected with VGA cable through the xfx included DVI-to-VGA adaptor

Re: Radeon 4670 display drivers crash crysis in windows 7

I was also facing the same problem while playing Crysis on my computer. There is some issue with the engine on which the game works which leads to the graphic drivers of the system to stop working. I think updating the graphic driver will solve the problem. Meanwhile try running the game on low graphics and see the performance of the game. On low graphics the probability of the graphic driver failing is less.
    Last edited by gygabite; 08-02-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gygabite View Post
    ...I think updating the graphic driver will solve the problem...
    I'm running the latest pathes for crysis, and I think this is the latest driver version (see below, extracted from the catalyst control center.)

Driver Packaging Version 8.69-091211a-094918C-ATI
    Catalyst™ Version 10.1
    Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
    2D Driver Version 8.01.01.994
    2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
    Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0723
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9252
    Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.1211.1547.28237

And then the Hardware details:

Primary Adapter
    Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
    Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
    Device ID 9490
    Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 2931
    Subsystem Vendor ID 1682

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
    Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 011.022.003.007
    BIOS Part Number 113-HD467XZDFQ1
    BIOS Date 2009/09/29

Memory Size 2811 MB
    Memory Type HyperMemory

Core Clock in MHz 750 MHz
    Memory Clock in MHz 400 MHz
    Last edited by Lammz; 08-02-2010 at 08:10 AM.

...Meanwhile try running the game on low graphics and see the performance of the game. On low graphics the probability of the graphic driver failing is less.
    Well it does run on high quite smoothly...but I'll test it out on low. This isn't a satisfactory permanent resolution, but worth trying to rule out some variables.
    Admitedly this is the first and only game I have tried to run on this machine. Are there any other game demos or anything else you would suggest to rule out the game as the problem?
    thanks for the help.

You can try running Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the computer and see how it performs. The graphic engines used to develop the game is different than Crysis. I think Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will help you in checking the performance of the graphic card.

You can try running Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the computer and see how it performs. The graphic engines used to develop the game is different than Crysis. I think Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will help you in checking the performance of the graphic card.
    Ok that sounds worth a try. By the way you were bang on about the driver not crashing on low settings. I played for about 30 mins before I had to turn it off. Just because I refuse to lower my standards!

A lot of people have been telling me it might be my psu. What's your take on that? Do you think there is a chance it's not hooked up properly? Plus quality of Ultra psu's has come into question numerous times. I thought it well exceeded the 4670's recommended 400w supply.

Ok having now formatted my computer and installed a new BETTER graphics card Radeon HD5670. And plaid through to the snow level on Crysis on high settings and thoroughly LOVING the game the problem seemed solved. Playing the game on 1280X960 resolution.
    Then I hit the snow level. Based on internet forum feedback this level is notorious for crashing people's hardware, and I was not immune. Severl little tricks that I have come across on other people's forums that seem to solve the issue.
    First of all this would seem to be an issue ONLY with RADEON-based graphics cards. With a series of acceptable tweaks, the game can be played without any crashes (fingers crossed)

To begin, of course have ALL of the latest drivers for all of your equipment, and all latest windows updates And patches for crysis:
    First if you are using windows 7, go to 'performance information and tools' and from there select adjust visual effects. From there select adjust for best performance.
    Doing this seems to fix a compatiblity problem between windows 7 and crysis having to do with windows aero effect (don't ask)
    Now run the game in 64 bit version (assuming you have 64 bit windows 7) AND RUN IN DIRECT 9!To this right click on your shortcut and and a -dx9 to the target line. click ok. the target should now be (for ex) {"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin64\Crysis.exe" -dx9}
    To do this you will lose about 5% quality of visuals, and no longer be able to select Very high setting, but well worth the stability. This is said to fix an incompatiblity with some combination of Crysis engine, DX10, The radeon family graphics cards AND the catalyst driver software.

Anyway just finished the game and LOVED IT. I'd even go as far as to say the frustration was worth it. Now seeing all the mods available, I'll start getting into some of those. certainly can't do that on 360 or PS3.

SOLVED SOMEWHAT (ON MY OWN)