Thread: Replace GPU of HP laptop

Replace GPU of HP laptop

In my laptop I want to replace the graphic card. I have a HP laptop with a Nvidia graphic support. I am thinking for an upgrade. There can be several issue if I go and do this on my own. I am looking for the solution for the same. First thing lies with the compatibility part. If I put a card then will that work properly with my motherboard or not. Then comes the type of graphic card and its price.

Re: Replace GPU of HP laptop

As you can imagine, a graphics card for laptop has neither the size nor the same port for fixing a card for desktop PCs. The port is called MXM and the size is smaller. The Mobile PCI Express Module (MXM) is the first interface consistent graphics for PCI Express notebooks. It is common to the two graphics card manufacturers, ATI and Nvidia. Thus, it is possible to replace an ATI and Nvidia vice versa.

Attention this is not so simple. There are several types of MXM cards. The connection does not change (at least for the types I, II and III), only the maximum size of the card varies. The graphics card will set a standard MXM connector the same on all notebooks with MXM card. Only cards MXM type IV are slightly different port named ET and equipped with 232-pin (against 230 for the MXM standard).

In addition, all types of MXM exhibit identical mounting holes. Any computer designed for a particular type of MXM can handle any card MXM smaller. This means that any system can receive a MXM-II card will receive a MXM module MXM-I or-II. You will have to get a list of mxm module from the internet.

The incompatibility issues are most common due to various factors. Like heat sink does not fit perfectly. Cooling System Not Compatible These two problems have occurred in our case, when we replaced a Nvidia 6800go by an ATI x1900 mobility. First lies with the performance maps and the other is the motherboard support on it.

The MXM card format because of their miniaturization, are much more expensive than conventional graphics cards. Moreover, not all are available. Currently, only one store sells Nvidia Geforce 7600 Type II at a price of 250 euros and ATI Mobility x1900 . To ensure maximum compatibility, I will recommend you keep the MXM port type and brand of the card when you decide to replace it. In the following section, we will show in the 'Change Map' how to replace an MXM graphics card from another perfectly compatible, then in the 'Change Cooling' we discuss solutions to problems incompatibility.