Thread: Monitor switches off?

Monitor switches off?

Hi,

First post here so bare with me. I really hope someone can help me out here, this problem is driving me nuts!

Anyway, I've built a new computer and the only parts not replaced is the PSU and the monitor. Basically, I have an issue happening where my monitor will switch off after as little as 10 seconds up to about 2 minutes. I have no operating system installed on the computer yet, and can only get in to the BIOS or begin installing Windows (7).

This is what happens: I turn the computer on, it begins installing Windows, begins copying the files and does one of four things:
    1. it will give me a blue screen error while copying files (irql_not_less_or_equal),
    2. The monitor will just switch off and computer will reset,
    3. The computer will reset and THEN the monitor will not come back on,
    4. It will continue to the next stage of installation.

Once the monitor has turned off, I have to unplug it and manually switch off my PSU for a couple of minutes before it works again. Then, once it is working, the cycle starts again. The longest it will go before switching off is to the point where I press the "begin installation" button (Win 7).

A few things to note: once it has turned off, the "power" and "reset" buttons on the computer STOP working, and the only way to turn off the computer is to turn off the PSU.

Every component is brand new except the PSU, and I have also tried another monitor so it's not an issue there.

My specs are:

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45
    CPU: Athlon II X4 620
    RAM: Crucial 2GB DDR3 (single stick)
    Graphics: GeForce 8400 GS
    PSU: 500W
    Monitor: HP w1907v

Thanks for any help, I really am at a loss!
    Last edited by George_88; 20-01-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Re: Monitor switches off?

First of all, try this think : Start your machine and enter into BIOS. Keep it ON and stay in the BIOS menu. Check if the same thing happens with the machine? If yes, then there's something not right about your Memory, PSU or may be motherboard, cant really say. You need to keep playing with it so that you can pin point the problematic peripheral. If when you are in the BIOS this problem doesn't occur even after an hour or so, you need to check with your Windows 7 disc or your hard drive. There can be possibly fault at any of these components. But first check if your power supply is not faulty and there is proper earthing... Do post back...

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45
    CPU: Athlon II X4 620
    RAM: Crucial 2GB DDR3 (single stick)
    Graphics: GeForce 8400 GS
    PSU: 500W
    Monitor: HP w1907v
    This is your computer configuration. As you are having 2GB of RAM it is not an issue of your RAM. But, this type of error occurs only if you are providing insufficient memory to the computer or your are having loose connection. So, you need to remove all your connections and then you can simply try for the reconnecting all the connections and solve your problem. As you are getting same problem with other monitor then your monitor is not faulty. So, fix any error of loose connection.

Hi guys,

Yes, this problem will also happen if I just stay in the BIOS. I also tried changing the RAM to another slot, still happens.

How do I go about pinpointing which device is causing the problem? All components are new except the PSU, but how could the PSU be causing this kind of problem? Could it be a power surge or something?

Also, I noticed something else. On first boot I hear "beep" coming from the motherboard, on the initial screen where it displays what your RAM is, processor, etc.

Once the monitor switches off and I try to boot again, there is no "beep" and I lose the ability to use the "power" and "reset" buttons on the PC.

Thanks for your help .