Thread: Nvidia 9800GT graphic card problem in Compaq CQ3170IX

Nvidia 9800GT graphic card problem in Compaq CQ3170IX

I am having the Compaq Presario CQ3170IX desktop computer system at my place. This desktop includes the Nvidia 9800GT graphic card and this desktop has the windows 7 operating system. But i think this graphic card is not working properly. Sometimes the computer restarts itself when i try to play the games and some times the computer restarts by giving the blue screen on the screen. So i think this is the Nvidia 9800GT graphic card problem in Compaq CQ3170IX desktop computer.

Re: Nvidia 9800GT graphic card problem in Compaq CQ3170IX

As mentioned in your query, this Compaq CQ3170IX desktop restarts by itself when you try to play the games on this computer system. And you think the reason for this problem is the graphic card that you are having in this computer system. This computer system has the Nvidia 9800GT graphic card. I think the troubleshooting of the graphic card will explore the problem and suggest you the resolving method for this problem.

This is clearly the problem of the Nvidia 9800GT graphic card that is why the computer restart by itself when you are trying to play the the games on this computer system. So i will suggest that remove this graphic card from the motherboard of the Compaq CQ3170IX desktop computer system and clean the graphic card as well as the slot you are using for the graphic card properly. Insert it again in the motherboard properly. Now this problem will be resolved.

You have mentioned that you are using the Windows 7 Operating system in this Compaq CQ3170IX desktop. Then first of all make sure that you have installed the correct driver software for this Nvidia 9800GT graphic card which should support the Windows 7 operating system. If you have installed the driver software of some other operating system then remove this driver and install the compatible driver for the Windows 7 operating system.

If you are not having the driver software for the Nvidia 9800GT graphic card which is compatible with the Windows 7 operating system then you can download the driver for the windows 7 operating system for the Nvidia 9800GT graphic card from the website of the Nvidia. There you will find the driver for all the operating system for this graphic card. If this graphic card is pre-installed in this system by the manufacturer then you can also download the drivers from the website of the HP-Compaq for Windows 7 operating system.

Some time this Compaq CQ3170IX desktop shutdowns and restart by showing the Blue screen on the computer system. This type of error occurs because of the hardware peripherals connected on the motherboard of the computer system. It is not necessary that this is the problem of the Graphic card only. So to deal with this problem you should remove all the hardwares connected on the motherboard and reconnect them properly again on the motherboard.

Simple. If your pc has onboard graphics, remove the graphics card and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics output on the motherboard. try booting the system for a day and see if it restarts. if it restarts and u have issues then the problem is not the graphic card.

Also since you tell me that the computer restarts when u try playing a game it could also be an issue with the power supply. 9800GT uses an auxillary power from the powersupply unit and it needs a minimum 400W supply.

Did the card come with the system or you bought it seperately?

Note: on further research your motherboard is a G31 chipset so it wud have onboard graphics. :-) and i understand that u have bought the 9800gt seperately. So i could almost conclude that the power supply is the issue. Replace a compatible 400W true power supply from Antec/cooler master and ur prob is solved. The default power supply with ur machine is not sufficient to handle a 9800gt.
    Last edited by rezcraze; 12-01-2010 at 05:21 PM.