Thread: Can I use Non-EFI graphics cards on Mac PPC?

Can I use Non-EFI graphics cards on Mac PPC?

Hello there, I have an old PowerMac G3 Desktop which has a 233Mhz CPU. I want to install Linux on the Machine. I have overclocked the CPU to run at 300Mhz and also increased the RAM and the Hard disk capacity. Now I want to add a new graphics card to the system and was wondering if I will be able to use Non-EFI graphic card on the Mac PPC.If there is anyway in which i can use a graphic card on my Mac please let me know. Also the PPC works on Mac OS 10.3.9.

Re: Can I use Non-EFI graphics cards on Mac PPC?

I dont think the computer you are using will support any graphics card. By looking at the configuration of your Mac system, i think the graphic card will be too much for the system. Adding a graphic card may also hamper the normal working of the Computer. It may create problems during booting of the system. Moreover the graphic card which are available today have some minimum requirements of the system which will not be completed by your system. Also the slot which will be required to connect the graphic card will not be available on your system.

Even if the system supports the graphic card, The operating system which you are going to use will not support it. You are planning to install Linux box on the Mac system which will create problems while adding a new graphic card to the system. Linux is a open source operating system and hence many devices dont work properly on it due to driver compatibility issue. Therefore even if your system supports the graphic card, you will find it difficult to find the correct drivers for the graphic card for the operating system you are using.

All the MAC systems work on a Open source platform and support devices which are made on a open source platform. On the other hand EFI is a Intel Mac standard which is supported by all the latest MAC systems. If your Power PC is Intel Mac then you can use a EFI card without any issue as your system will support it. But if your PPC is a non Intel Mac then you will have to use a non-EFI graphic card. Also the system which you are using is quite old hence finding a suitable card will be painful. Find a card which supports on Mac's side and there would be no issue with the operating system supporting it.

No you cannot use any regular graphic cards with your computer. Also using a EFI card is out of the question as it is supported by Intel Mac only. Hence you will have to find a graphic cards which work with the apple open source implementation which is very difficult task. The GPU options available for PPC is very limited these days and hence you will have to shell out more money for buying a suitable card for your computer.

I can suggest you these two cards which I think will work with your computer as well as the operating system you are using. Search for ATI Radeon 7000 or 9200 PCI card. Both this cards are not manufactured today so the only source you can get this card is visiting a Used parts reseller. Both this cards work with the apple's open implementation source and supports Linux operating system. The chances of getting these cards is slim, but you can try to get them. If you are planning to use OS X on the system rather than Linux then you can also try to get a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 PCI card which will work on your system but it requires Mac OS X to work properly.