Thread: Dell LCD Monitor goes into "Power Save" by itself.?!

Dell LCD Monitor goes into "Power Save" by itself.?!

I am having the Compaq Laptop. I have 22" Dell Monitor so that I can plug it into my laptop. Now the problem is that whenever I am want to watch a movie I plug that monitor in my laptop and my laptop screen shuts down. Later on when I tried to plug the DVI cable into the computer, and then pressed the monitor power button, and right away the monitor power button color turns from green to orange, and it displays "entering power save". Later on when I tried to remove that DVI cable and rebooted my system, I got the same message after the Windows started. I am not able to figure out what is happening to my monitor.??! Please help me to sort out this issue..!
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

Re: Dell LCD Monitor goes into "Power Save" by itself.?!

First make sure that your Power settings are set to 'always on'. Because these problems can be caused when you set this option off. Then check your screensaver. Turn off your screensaver. Maybe doing this will help you to solve your problem.

Also I have observed that this can happen when the computer is set to a screen resolution that the monitor can't support. Might be you have set the screen resolution of your laptop too high which cannot be supported by the Monitor that you are using as external. So try to set your resolution lower of your laptop, if it is too high. Make sure that resolution is supported by your monitor.

According to me its a DVI driver issue. Hook your monitor to your computer when your computer is powered off. When you turn on your computer and after the BIOS screen comes in your laptop, then turn on your monitor. It should work fine. Otherwise you will have to install the drivers manually.

Several times it happens when you not use the external video port option. I would like to suggest you to toggle the external video port. You can do this by pressing the Fn (Function Key) and F4 on Compaq laptop (not sure but you can check). Hope that toggling the external video port will work for your monitor.