Thread: What are the differences between an LCD and a Monitor??

What are the differences between an LCD and a Monitor??

I have decided to purchase the computer but not able to decide what type of monitor. Some of my friends say that LCD is the best option but it is much costly when compared to CRT Monitor. I don't want to waste much money. Is LCD worth buying.?? I will be using computer for my home purpose. Some basic applications, movies and some games. I am very confused what to buy. Since you are the tech people I thought to take suggestions from you..
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

Re: What are the differences between an LCD and a Monitor??

According to me the main difference is in the characteristic of the Resolution. The resolution on a CRT is flexible and you can view resolutions upto 1600 by 1200 which is provided by latest CRT monitors. On LCD the resolution is fixed within each monitor which is called a native resolution. You can change the resolution on an LCD, but doing this will drop the performance or quality of picture. When an LCD is running at its native resolution the picture quality is perfectly sharp. On a CRT the sharpness of the picture can be blemished by soft edges or a flawed focus.
    So according to me LCD will be the best option for you if you want to see some movies or play the games.

When you purchase a 17-inch CRT monitor, you usually get 16.1 inches or a bit more of actual viewing area, depending on the brand and manufacturer of a specific CRT. you will always get such differences. The difference exists in CRT due to between the "monitor size" and the "view area" is due to the large bulky frame of a CRT.
    If you purchase a 17" LCD monitor, you actually get a full 17" viewable area, or very close to a 17".
    So its better if you try the LCD.

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) monitors are much newer than CRT and are now the standard for desktop and laptop computer systems. The LCD consumes power much less than the CRT. So the LCD is much beneficial even when the power consumption is kept in mind. LCD monitors are known for being lightweight and smaller.

As you mentioned that you want to watch movies and play games, then according to me you should go for the LCD monitor. I accept the fact that it is costlier than the CRT, but you get much more features in LCD. The pictures on the LCD will be much clear and sharp when compared to the CRT. So its better if you look for the LCD.

According to me there is only disadvantages of LCDs when compared to CRTs. That is the viewing angle. When viewing a LCD straight on it looks fine. But the screen will appear washed-out if you move your head over to the side and look at it from an extreme angle. This does not happens with the CRT. Otherwise the LCD is the best option in today's world.