Thread: One Monitor is Flickering in Dual monitor setup.?!

One Monitor is Flickering in Dual monitor setup.?!

I am having two identical 19" monitors of HP which are connected to the HD4670. For the connection I am using VGA to DVI adapters. I am using the Windows XP as operating system. When ever I try to open the Internet Explorer or any other application like CorelDraw or Photoshop, the second monitor will flick for few seconds. The resolution of both the monitor are set to 1280x1024. I don't know the exact cause for this.!! Someone facing the similar problem ?? Please help me to sort this problem.. Thanks in Advance.
    I do to dead flowers what people at morgues do to dead people. Suck all the moisture out, dip them in plastic, paint them up pretty and put them in a nice frame.

Re: One Monitor is Flickering in Dual monitor setup.?!

Many times the monitor flicker in the dual mode since the Refresh rate is not kept proper. Try to set the refresh rate at 60Hz. You can set this in the refresh rate section. Check the option "hide modes that this monitor can not display" and then do the settings. Keeping on the 60Hz may solve the issue of flickering.

The monitor can flicker if you have not installed the display driver properly needed for that operating system. So try to install the latest driver of the display on both the monitors and then keep the refresh rate at 60Hz. Before installing the new drivers, it would be better if you remove the existing driver. There will be no chances of the conflicts. Hope that, installing the updated driver for the display will solve this Error.

I was facing the same issue, when I was running the dual monitor setup which was of Acer 17" LCD's. I just kept my refresh rate to 60Hz and then it started working properly. Before that my drivers were installed properly of the display. I don't know whether you have installed the driver properly or not. Several times there is no need to install the drivers for the display, but check installing the updated drivers since this is the Dual monitor setup.

There are some other reasons that can cause the flickering of your monitor in Dual setup. If you are using the ATI disable the Overdrive option. Overdrive makes your ATI graphics card work at faster and more efficiently. But many times it can cause problems like flickering. You can disable by doing the following steps :
    • Right click anywhere on your desktop.
    • Then Left click on the ATI Catalyst Control Center option.
    • Click the View Menu Option.
    • Select the Advanced View Option (notice the list of items under Graphics Settings)
    • Select the Overdrive option under Graphic Settings.
    • Ensure that turn off Overdrive is selected
    • Click on Apply and then Click OK.

Doing this may solve your error.

Does the flickering always happens on the same monitor.?? Try to test the single monitor. Doing this you will able to know that it is drivers issue or the monitor itself. Also try to swap the adapters that you are using. Hope by doing this you can troubleshoot your problem.