Thread: Radeon 5870 Crashing issues

Radeon 5870 Crashing issues

I'm running Windows Vista as my operating system. I have a Radeon 5870 graphic card on my system. Now the problem is that when When I try to launch certain games, the screen goes black and the power button start to blink, as if the screen doesn't receive any input. I had also tried to change the input "label" for the port the card which is connected to to "PC" in order to get 1920x1080 dot-by-dot. But, when windows is up and running again, the screen with "Your computer recovered from an unexpected shutdown" (or something like that), it has this "Search for solution" as well as more information on the crash. So, can any one tell me that why does i'm facing Radeon 5870 graphic card crashing issues? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks in advance.

Re: Radeon 5870 Crashing issues

I had a similar issue with my 4890 and i believe its just a driver setting that is off. Many games show that "line border" when AA is forced on through the driver. Usually putting AA on in the game itself doesn't cause this (with driver on application detected). After hunting through the drivers, I found an interesting option "Scaling Options". It was set to scale at like 95% or something.

Did you try installing the latest directx? Try to see if using one or both crossfire connector is your problem. If you're running both, remove the one closest to the cooler, if you're using one, connect both. That card is directx 11 so I would make sure you have the latest it may or may not change anything but if it solves the issue it could be worth giving it a try.

It looks the driver not is installed, only catalyst and other programs. Used hdmi to dvi on tv and dvi on display and still having issues. It may or may not make a difference. If you have multiple power connectors, try using as many from different rails as you can.

Are you using the hmdi connector? I disabled Microsoft Security Essentials and Modern Warfare 2 is now working. Did you check if there is any power saving feature on your screen or on your machine that disturbs the connection? I had issue's similar to yours and switched out to a dvi to hdmi and that fixed my problems. Try disabling power saving both through your screens osd/osm and on your computer.

You shouldn't install drivers from the CD. Always get the latest drivers from AMD's website. More people with this issue need to call AMD support so that maybe we can get it fixed, seems my tickets that I submitted didn't make them aware of it.