Thread: No screen with 8600 GT that works on another computer

No screen with 8600 GT that works on another computer

My nephew's Config that is having the problem:
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H, bios F7
    Processor - Intel E2140
    RAM - 2 x 1 GB DDR II Kingston PC5300
    Video card - ASUS EN8600GT Silent HTDP 256 MB PCI Express.
    Power Supply - 400 watt noname.

The rest is unimportant, however for testing I disconnected the hard drives and recorders. Symptoms: when I plug the screen on the 8600 GT and I turn on the PC, I have no display.

The motherboard has an integrated VGA and whatever the config in the bios, the image is appearing on the screen when it is plugged into the VGA integrated but nothing on the 8600 GT => off-screen case.

I assume therefore that the 8600 is died => I tested on my personal machine (motherboard Gigabyte P35-DS3R) and then it works!! => Graphics Card 8600 GT is out of question.

I tell myself that it may be the PCI Express motherboard died => I tried another card, an 8800GT, and it works! => Port PCI Express is exonerated.

Well, it is complicated. What is the difference between 8800 GT and the 8600 GT? The port is the same, but the 8800 GT is powered through an outlet 6 pin PCI Express, while the 8600 GT gets the power from the PCI Express. I say then that by my power supply (a Seasonic) that works with the 8600 on my motherboard, it certainly will work => I don't think: the power supply Seasonic + 8600 + GA-73PVM will do any better, still nothing to display => the power supply noname there is nothing to.

At this stage, small balance:

- The 8600 GT video card works.
    - Motherboard GA-73PVM-S2H works.
    - The PCI Express GA-73PVM-S2H works.
    - The power supply no name is sufficient.

And yet it all together does not work. Therefore no problem of hardware incompatibility possible ....

I still have some assumptions in stock but I am beginning to admit defeat:

- The 8600 GT was overclocked, it is possible that the parameters (frequency of the GPU, video RAM ...) are upset and left the GA-73PVM?

- Settings in the bios? I ended up making a clear cmos to see if it would be better but no, nothing, always the damn display problem.

Re: No screen with 8600 GT that works on another computer

Have you checked the bios on the motherboard if you have an option to tell him to display on the video card plugged into PCI (PCI Express)? I already had a bios that had that option here, and if it is not activated, it takes the integrated graphics card by default. Have you tried a bios reset with the default settings?

Jacek: it might, but not in this case. Since the bios is working well for 8800. (A bios set to ignore the motherboard will do with all the cards and not with one rather than another.)

Moreover on this motherboard, it is almost certain that the clear cmos has given the default that is the primary boot on the motherboard with pcie on detection of its presence.

But see if the signal does not come through outputs onboard that is a good idea anyway, it seems that the motherboard is having trouble initializing the 8600, perhaps at this moment, as it should be, it sets the graphic card onboard. If so, I'd say check if there is nothing on the plug of the 8600 (good plug-in slot, etc..).

But if nothing comes out of the graphic card onboard, perhaps try forcing a different output on the 8600 (DVI <> VGA or secondary output), could also force the bios in the lighting of the graphic card onboard. According to the manual it does not disable pcie graphic card one, we could see in windows if it initializes the activation of the secondary display, which would enhance a problem initializing the boot.

Thank you for your interest in my problem. I actually did reset bios, but nothing happens. The 8600 is fully plugged in, I've even come out of the motherboard box to test it, so it can be plugged up in depth, nothing to do. However I found a small difference in motherboard: my P35DS3R has a PCI E 16x 2.0, while the other motherboard is not in version 2.0. PCIE 2.0 consumes, I think, more power than the first version. I thought this because it seems that damn 8600 + needs power before (in my opinion, a component must falter). Besides in RivaTuner, it is that it sits at 4x (16x on a port) then it is a 16x card. I read that the cards do this too when it pulls on power supply provided by the port: it lowers their speed. And even at 4x, the rest is at 68 °C (well it is a passive cooling but still!)

I concluded that it was the 8600 which is incorrect, before it went very well on that motherboard GA-73PVM-S2H ...

Is there RivaTuner on the PC of your nephew? If he was playing with it by taking a 'power user', he was able to directly access hardware parameters of the screen and might have edited it incorrectly and thus the problem occurred. I would suggest you to reset everything to the factory settings of the screen with the OSD. If needed then reload the drivers of the 8600 properly before rebooting with display option 'pci-e' (short, 8600) to see.