Thread: Geforce metal plate doesnt fit through back of computer

Geforce metal plate doesnt fit through back of computer

I just got a HP A6857C computer which rocks except the case is different from anything ive seen before. On this case you have to screw a new card in on the outside via a pertruding metal thing. The big problem is, I dont see how my Geforce 9600GT is going to fit through. It takes up two slots of space, and even If I removed the metal between those two slots, the metal plate on the video card wont fit through the back of my computer.

Am I missing something "new" in the upgrades arena? Do I have to slice up my case a crapload just to install this card or is there some other way this is done?

Re: Geforce metal plate doesnt fit through back of computer

Looks like you need a card with a single slot bracket. There are a couple 4670s that can fit in there, so return that one. The card's metal plate that covers the opening/slot on the back of the PC is not tapered like a normal graphics card. You then discard the mounting bracket and use the one from the Rage card (probably only has one slot though) and effectively mount the VGA and DVI ports side by side. As long as the cards fan will clear your HP heatsink, you could take the bracket off the card and cut the top half of it off. It's actually kind of silly for it to have a dual slot bracket since it doesn't force the air out of the case anyway. Then add an 80mm fan to the back grill to help keep temps down.