Thread: Graphics card crashes with maximum color

Graphics card crashes with maximum color

My old config:
    Athlon XP 1700+
    Motherboard Elite K7S5A
    RAM: 256 Mb DDR
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380W (new).

The problem is: when I start my monitor, the screen displays the pixels of all colors. This problem occurs mostly in games, so I thought an instability problem / overheating.

I then installed FurMark software that allows you to stress test the graphics card. And there, indeed every stress test of the card starts quickly and usually the GPU temperature reaches 70°.

I tested almost every conceivable drivers, I installed all the drivers and none of it has solved the problem.

I did some stress tests with another graphics card and the problem has not arisen. It would therefore actually the graphics card ...

The question I ask myself is whether this instability is not due to the fact that the AGP slot on my motherboard is a 4x and apparently the graphics card is running in AGP 8x? (In fact I read on a site that it could be a source of instability)

Re: Graphics card crashes with maximum color

About AGP, I think you have only a loss of performance but crashing all that should be due to some other problem. However, have you tried cleaning the fans on the graphics card? Since you are running the old computer then there might be lots of dust, in general.

Which graphics card have you tested? What was the model? 70 °C is reasonable and normal for the graphic cards. And for AGP 4x, there is no reason for this to the cause of the problem; only possibility with the slot is either it works or it does not work.

Sorry, I forgot to mention what graphics card it was. I am using a GeForce 6800GT 256 Mb.

Yes, at the beginning when I installed I got a little blown, but the cooling system is pretty solid. I could not really clean it thoroughly, at least the fan is not particularly dirty.

On the other hand, I feel it is not super efficient, it makes a slight sound of "game" when it runs but it is a fan who does not look really well designed.

The 70° according FurMark is about the latter temperatures that can I read from the graph line before it crashed.

The only solution I see is underclock...