Thread: Frustrated with Radeon HD 4850

Frustrated with Radeon HD 4850

After browsing through a lot of the threads involving 4850s I haven't seen one with my particular problem. I've gone through multiple outlets asking for help and have yet to receive any and am coming to my wit's end. Becoming increasingly frustrated with this card.

Specs:

Antec 650W power supply
    Radeon HD 4850 1GB
    4 Gigs RAM
    Asus P5Q deluxe mobo
    Intel Core Duo 6400 @ 2.13Ghz
    Windows XP 32-bit SP3

I have the latest .net framework and directx, also have tried using the drivers on the disc for video card and downloading newest drivers. Yes, I removed and installed drivers in safe mode the proper way.

To the problem. This happens only in games, current issues arise in Everquest2 and Team Fortress 2. After a few minutes of play I get insane stuttering (in EQ2) which unless I Ctl+shift+esc will lock up the game, upon going into windowed mode though, it will correct itself. This same problem happens in TF2 only it just continues to stutter and I have to end the task.

I have received one BSOD relating to the file named "atikvmag.dll" which looks like a driver file for the 4850.

I've run stress tests using FurMark and 3Dmark and it's not an overheating issue. Looks like my top temp. is about 68C give or take a degree. I feel like I've scoured the net but haven't found anything! It's really killin my enjoyment playin PC games, so any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks for at least readin!

-Eric

Re: Frustrated with Radeon HD 4850

May be its a corrupt issue and/or a virus which is corrupting the system files. From safe-mode run a complete system scan with your anti-virus. Hope this works...

Re: Frustrated with Radeon HD 4850

I've done that as well, no viruses or anything, also ran a spyware scan to make sure, just had some tracking cookies. In the process of backing up some of my files right now. Reinstalling windows XP, and gonna be getting Windows 7 here pretty soon. If none of that works then I guess I'll just return it and get an nvidia card.