Thread: MacBook Pro to HDMI

MacBook Pro to HDMI

I just got a Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p and I tried connecting my Macbook Pro via the DVI out (DVI-HDMI) cable. I am not able to play HDCP protected content like this, because there is no digital (DVI or HDMI) connection to my projector. How can connect my Macbook Pro through HDMI cable? Can you folks tell me on what to do to get this working? Let me know the correct information on the above issue.

Re: MacBook Pro to HDMI

If you have a 1080P screen then you will get a good increase in quality from using the DVI/HDMI cable. HDCP content can only be transmitted over an HDMI connection, as it's the only external cable connection which it will support. I use the the Mini port to DVI and have a DVI- to HDMI cable with no problems.

You get an HDCP compliant DVI port, and you have the ability to hook up Composite, SVideo, VGA, DVI and HDMI. It depends on your TV, but for me I like to keep it all digital ie. mini dvi/mini display to dvi and then dvi to hdmi cable. HDCP is a digital encryption which is why it works now with your regular video cables, which are analog.

DVI is HDMI out just without the sound (all you need is the right cable) and HDMI is not used enough in the computer world for Apple to put another port on their computers. You can send an unencrypted signal down an HDMI cable to a TV that supports HDCP just fine. HDMI connection would not require modification to fit into a very slim notebook, as DVI does with their mini-dvi output.