Thread: Install Geforce 9400GT on Ubuntu

Install Geforce 9400GT on Ubuntu

Hi,
    I had added a Geforce 9400GT graphic card on Ubuntu PC. Now the card is not working properly. I had installed the drivers from the driver cd of card. But still the problem is not solved. There are some errors while using the card. I cannot run full features of the card. So this means either the card is not compatible with Ubuntu or I need some other driver update. Any suggestion would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Install Geforce 9400GT on Ubuntu

Yes you are quiet right about the drivers issue. The errors is caused due to a mismatch between the nvidia module version and the driver version. So the only better way is first to remove the entire nvidia thing from your Ubuntu PC. Then go to the official site and download the latest drivers. The drivers are designed to run the card on Ubuntu. The architecture of Ubuntu is completely different from Windows. So your to be very particular about the drivers and other tools.

Here your can try opening the Snyaptic Package Manager. You can access it by Clicking on System Menu > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. Here look for the drivers related to nvidia. Now select the version which you want to use or you can simply test the working one. Then restart the system once the driver is installed. After your as per you choice you can activate the drivers. But before using them enable your desktop effects.

For the driver issue I will suggest your using EnvyNG. The tool can be used to install and uninstall drives. So here you can remove them in case of any incompatibility issue. You can first install the EnvyNG using Synaptic Package Manager. Run it by going in Application > System Tools > EnvyNG. Select the optin of nVidia Drivers and then restart your computer. You can even do the same by command line option. One thing you have to ensure that you cannot use all the features of the card.