Thread: How to Upgrade dell Vostro Video Card

How to Upgrade dell Vostro Video Card

I want to upgrade the DELL vostro 1700 video card (8600M GT). I was thinking for a GeForce Go 7950 GTX (possibly SLI) or a 8800 GTX (again, possibly SLI). Also, do you think that if i ring dell and whinge about my lcd (matte 1280 * 800) they would upgrade it for me to the truelife with the higher res? (1680 or something) ? Perhaps evena Quadro FX 3500M could be suitable (if there are modifications of drivers in order to play with games).

Re: How to Upgrade dell Vostro Video Card

Contact dell they might be having the solution on your problem... it is the best video card that dell has that fits with a proper driver. the cpu can be upgraded as well, I would doubt the upgrade would work... Though if it is doable I'm sure someone will correct me. The reason I don't think it is doable is laptop video cards are very specific (LCD connections, etc.) so they generally don't work accross models or releases (even with the new standard connection on the motherboard, MXM). update your bios through dell.

The only laptop currently that offers sanctioned upgrades is the XPS. However, say you bought a 5150 with a 32 MB Video card. The Vostro 1400 offers one discrete solution: the 128 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (G86), which is explained in greater detail here. so they generally don't work accross models or releases (even with the new standard connection on the motherboard, MXM). This graphics solution is known as a ‛discrete down‛ configuration, which means the video card is soldered to the system board. In the event of a failure, replace the system board.

you can't because in laptops the processors are built into the motherboard. If it was a desktop you could and no for your video card as well, its integrated into the motherboard. If the video card needs to be connected to a power wire (as opposed to being connected to the PCI Express slot only), then probably needs too much power for a 300W supply.