Thread: sony media card reader/writer this device cannot start. (code 10)

sony media card reader/writer this device cannot start. (code 10)

I have a problem with Sony Vaio model VGC-RA820G with Windows XP Media center. I had absolutely no trouble installing/using it on XP. But I'm getting very frustrated trying to install a card reader/writer on a usb port to read my compactflash card for my digital camera. I have tried out installing new drivers from the sony site but in device manager I get "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" Please help...

Re: sony media card reader/writer this device cannot start. (code 10)

Code 10 is a default error code that Device Manager generates when the operating system cannot determine which specific error code to return after an issue occurs. First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". If the reason for the failure is undetermined this generic message displayed is: This device cannot start. This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

I did solve this by reinstalling windows xp - the issue seemed to come during a large patch download, Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click the Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator. At the command prompt type the following and press Enter after each line:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

start devmgmt.msc

The device manager should open, and list non-present devices. Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present. Now click on View at the top, and then Show hidden devices. Locate the driver(s) associated with your device – the entry icon should appear transparent. Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers. Right-click the corresponding entry and select Uninstall. Repeat this process until all entries pertaining to said device have been removed. Once complete click Action at the top, and then Scan for hardware changes. The device(s) should now install correctly.

What a horrible solution! Not that I blame you. Just a thought, back of my head for future reference, or others still sufferering. I bought parallels to connect to my corporate network which requires a smartcard. I've been unable to get it to connect (latest build tested was 3186). I've also tried another brand of USB cardreader with simular problems. I seem to remember that for several USB devices, you are warned in big red capital letters not to connect the device before you install the drivers.