Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pls suggest me a graphics card

sleepingpill Guest

Exclamation pls suggest me a graphics card

hey frnds,

I have an old PC in which i want to install Graphics card to paly games. My PC configuration is 2.93GHz P4 Processor, 1,256 GB DDR SD RAM, 915 GL Intel Motherboard. Pls suggegt one graphics card for my pc...

my budget is around 3K...

Re: pls suggest me a graphics card

Any AGP 8x/4x graphic are compatible to it!It will work perfectly for you.... So just go to Nvidia & find out the AGP 8X/4X compatible Graphic Card....! Hope this will help you!

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

The graphic card compatibility depends on your mother board. Intel's 915 GL Motherboard have pci express x16 slot. For this slot you can get ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 or 2600 HT, Geforce 8600 GTS, 7950 GT, etc. Also other than this there are many more brands of cards which varies in cost. You can view the price list on the net and determine your need.

If it uses a Pentium 4, then it most likely either has AGP or PCI express 1.0a.

Intel Chipset & AGP: Nvidia 7600 GT, 7900 GS, or the very rare 7950 GT AGP.
    ATI Chipset & AGP: X1950 pro, 3850 AGP version (check compatiblity)
    Intel Chipset & PCI-Express 1.0a: Nvidia 7600 GT, 7950 GT
    ATI Chipset & PCI-Express 1.0a: X1900XT, X1950PRO, X1950XT
    Any Chipset & Regular PCI (white slot): you're screwed, its awful

The safest overall bet is an Nvidia 7900 GS. You are going to want to stay away from the newer cards because they are not truly backward compatible with PCI-Express 1.0a, they are only truly backward compatible with 1.1. They might work, but the performance WILL be negatively effected.

sleepingpill Guest

hey frnds, I m really confused with all these things - pci express slot, AGP....how can i check the compatibility of the Graphics card with my PC....And another important thing, is the graphics card compatible with my SD DDR RAM???

1) The Ram on the graphics card had nothing to do with your system RAM.

2)
    *PCI-Express slots are usually black on OEM systems, and older machines, like yours, there will only be one.
    *AGP Slots are usually brown or gray on OEM systems and there will only be
    one.
    *PCI Slots are normally white, and there will be more than one (probably three).

3) We need to know how many watts your power supply is. Look on the sticker and tell us.

Can you give us your motherboard model number?

Can you take a digital picture of the inside of your computer and upload it to image shack and then post it here?

sleepingpill Guest

question Re: pls suggest me a graphics card

pls help guys....

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingpill View Post
    hey frnds, I m really confused with all these things - pci express slot, AGP....how can i check the compatibility of the Graphics card with my PC....And another important thing, is the graphics card compatible with my SD DDR RAM???
    You mobo must be having PCI express slot, and DDR RAM is fully compatible with PCI-express graphics cards.

"Your mobo must be having a PCI-express slot..."

And you base that on what? He says its an Intel 915GL motherboard, but that is a type of chipset, not a type of board. As you can see on the links below, boards with that chipset could have AGP or PCI-Express slots. Even if he is referring to an actual Intel brand board with that chipset, there were many of them.

Sleepingpill, is one of these your motherboard? We need to know to help you.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813157075
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813157073
    Last edited by Majestic_Lizard; 03-07-2009 at 12:26 AM.

sleepingpill Guest

hi friends,
    I hav checked my pc. Its smps sticker says 250 watt max power. & also it does not have any PCIe slot. Only 3 PCI slot is there. So is there any Graphics card compatible with my old system ???

@ Majestic Lizard
    None of the aforesaid product matching mine. I have checked my system configuration in Everest software. It says,
    Motherboard Properties:
    Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Product P5GL-TMX
    Version 1.XX
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 516, 2933 MHz (22 x 133)
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915GL
    System Memory 1270 MB (DDR SDRAM)

pls help.

You can buy any anyone Grapic compatible to Motherboard According to me i will suggest you to buy the graphic card above Nvidia 7600GT this series. If you buy the card above 8600 series you also use the Nvidia 3D Vision facility....!

Hello my friend,

Here GeForce 8800 GTS is what will suit your motherboard.
    These are also will work for your board:
    GeForce 7950 GT, GeForce 7600 GT, GeForce 7600 GS
    I hope this helps.

You guys are totally ignoring his last post. His board only has the old PCI. An 8800 GTS is certainly not going to run on a PCI 1 slot. About the best he can do with a PCI 1 slot is an Nvidia 6200. Any more expensive card than that will be a waste of money as PCI 1 just is not designed for video cards. Sadly, while the P5GL-TMX has no AGP or PCI-Express, the P5G-MX (without the T) has its PCI-Express slot intact. Poor Sleepingpill has the one with the PCI-Express slot removed from the board!

This is what I believe he has (Sleepingpill, please correct me if I'm wrong):

As you can see it has no PCI-express or AGP. ASUS removed the video card slot from the board! Sleepingpill, the bad news is that your motherboard is not good for gaming. The good news is that your processor is LGA775 and will work in cheap LGA775 board which will work with a good video card. You need a new motherboard. That one is terrible. In the United States you can get a good ASUS LGA775 board as cheap as $50 or $60 US. You can also get a decent video card for around the same price here in the states. Don't know what your prices are like there though.

Here is a good board that will work with your CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130217

Cheap RAM:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609278

Cheap, but good video card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130297
    Last edited by Majestic_Lizard; 04-07-2009 at 12:43 AM.

sleepingpill Guest

is there any way to convert my PCI slot to PCIe slot ?? Does no other brand Graphics card will b compatible with my system??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast