Thread: What is HDCP

What is HDCP

Recently I went into a shop to purchase an gpu and dvi cable for my television. The retailer offer me two option. The first one is that the gpu is HDCP compliant and the second one is not. I was bit confused about this. The same condition for the cable. There was a difference in the cost of both. I asked the shop guy he said that it is a kind of bandwidth protection something. Can anyone explain me more clearly that what is HDCP. Which one should I get the normal one or the second one.

Re: What is HDCP

HDCP means High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection. It is a copy of protection scheme. It normally removes the option of capturing a digital data between the origin to the display. It is made by Intel and licensed by Digital Content Protection. The product with HDCP connects to the display much securely as others. It is an simple protection thing which secure the data between a pc to a display. That means if your gpu is HDCP complaint and you monitor is not then you will see a difference in the display quality.

It is like an initiative to stop piracy. HDCP is designed to protect the HD content. If the hardware is HDCP enable then it only allows the copy of content under some regulations. It is created by intel. Data normally travel across the cable, ports, so this compliant avoid the copy of content. The hardware which supports it are costlier because it requires a annual fee.

Today most of the monitors are HDCP complaint. The basic explanation for this is if you gpu is hdcp complaint and your monitor or the cable is not then you will not see the display or you will not get the quality of HD display you want. It is created by Intel to protect the high definition content. One more example I will give is if your DVD rom is not a HDCP complaint then you cannot view the protect HD content. It is an additional component which is on you to get or not.