Thread: What is 16:10 aspect ratio

What is 16:10 aspect ratio

I am going to get on samsung 19" monitor for my system which I will use with my xbox also. As everyone knows that the play station is equipped with blue ray compatibility, so I can view and enjoy the HD type games and movies. I had heard that to get an HD experience I will need to set the monitor to 16:10 aspect ratio. What does it means. How can I determine at the time of buying that the monitor is set to the said ratio. Can anyone explain me that what will happen if the ration is not set to the above conditions.

Re: What is 16:10 aspect ratio

Normally the 16:10 ratio means that the size of screen will increase a bit lot. Your display will stretched more. Other wise you will notice a thick black line at the top of the screen. The most standard and common ration is 4:3 which you can see in old box type standard monitors. Like around 15" and 17" models. Then the flat screen came out with 16:9 inch. Today it is considered that to get the full benefit of large display the aspect ratio must be set to 16:10 wide screen. It is set in HDTV home theater. Basically if you have a correct display driver then there will be now issue. You will not need do set any ratio and setting manually.

It is quiet simple to understand the ration thing. Like I have an 17" old viewsonic monitor which is at the ratio of 16:9. You now getting a 19" new one which need 16:10. It is new a ration used for wide screen monitors. If you ration is set to the above then you see most of the wide screen movies, you can see a long time line in video editing tools, etc. Don't worry about the ratio thing. Just connect it to your system. You comp will consider it as a wides screen and set the aspect ratio. For more details look for similar threads.

Well, the difference between the two ratio is hardly noticed. It just a bit of increase in the size of screen. The thing you can take care while getting a wide screen monitor is, make sure that your video setting must match the aspect ratio of your monitor. Most of the latest systems, game consoles, etc has their video setting which works with all latest monitors. The resolution also determine the quality of display. So you will need to take care about the resolution also. If you see the black bars in your screen you can set it by the inbuilt menu provided in the monitor.